How much should I ask for in a raise?

First thing first, I am in high school so obviously it isn't an extravagant job. I work at a t-shirt printing shop and currently make $8.50 an hour. My boss has mention about giving me a raise since I am now developing artwork for his customers instead of just folding the shirts, taking inventory, cutting down boxes, etc. I will be discussing the details of my raise on Tuesday. The only problem is I don't know how much to ask for and what would be too much. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Favorite Answer

3% of your base pay is average for a raise in the same position. So in your case, it would be 25 cents.

You may be better off to cut another type of deal with him instead and take a percentage of the sales from your own designs. If you design for him he gets the copyright to the design. If this is something you're going to do for a living I would do it much differently. The designs should remain yours. You should know enough about the business by now to know what the costs are and what the wholesale/retail prices are. Do your homework on this and you'll come out ahead!

Well assuming this is your first time discussing a raise you both will negotiate a price. If I were you I'd ask for $9 an hr. If he thinks that's suitable then he'll say yes if not them he'll give you a counter offer you should ask depending on how long you've worked there it's usually like a quarter every 6 months

Source(s): Iv had many raises

Ask for a 10% raise.

Give him/her the new number. Don't say 10% raise.

• Adam

3% in standard