can a minor move out of there parents house without there permission ?

i am 16 and live in the state of utah can i move out of my parents house if they know but do not give permission such as they know i am moving out to a friends but no not allow it is it legal that i can do that or will i get in trouble with the cops

3 Answers

  • 9 years ago

    It's not allowed unless you go to court and become an emancipated minor. Unless you're being beaten, molested, emotionally abused, or abused or neglected in some form it's probably better that you stay with your parents. Try having a friend or relative (adult) sit down with you and your parents to be a mediator while you and your parents CALMLY sit down and discuss what your problems are, what their problems are, and a reasonable plan to fix as many of those problems as is possible. Some problems can't be fixed and sometimes there has to be some give and take when you live with other people such as parents, spouse, other relatives, roomates, etc. Sometimes you have to go along to get along.

  • 9 years ago

    Check the term "Emanciapated Minor" in the State of Utah and see what reqirements need to be met. If you leave the home, and it wasn't approved by parents, legal guardians, or the court, then you be a runaway. Laws vary from state to state, but generally, the State (DCS) will get involved, and the lives of you and your parents will become miserable.

  • bored
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

    Not unless they've been legally emancipated.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.