Bri<3 asked in TravelUnited StatesHonolulu · 9 years ago

"Bucket List" for Hawaii ?

i'm going to hawaii in 2 days and i want to have it a relaxing trip. i'm 16 and i'm going to honolulu. this is what i have so far. any more suggestions?

-go to a luau

-beach party

-shopping

-read on the beach

-swim with dolphins

-snorkel

-sip smoothie on beach

-get an extension in my hair (feather/colored)

-get a massage on the beach

-go to really fancy restaurant

that's all i have:)

3 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Bucket List and relaxing are kind of mutually exclusive. But okay, here are some suggestions:

Not sure what island you will be on. If Oahu, go stand in front of the Kuhio Beach web cam, call your friends and have them go online to this URL:

http://www1.honolulu.gov/multimed/waikiki.asp

Wave. Gloat. Apologize for gloating and ask them to take some screenshots for you!

Take a tour or if you are traveling with adults, drive out to Polynesian Cultural Center. Stay for the dinner show. It's run by the Mormons so no alcohol, but you weren't drinking anyway. Otherwise, hit a luau at Germaine's or Paradise Cove. If you are military, the Hale Koa runs a nice one too.

Arizona Memorial. http://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/index.htm

That tour is free, take pictures and notes and do a report for credit for your high school teachers. Bring money so you can also tour the USS Missouri, Bowfin, and Pacific Air museums that are in the surrounding area (very close, one parking lot can get you to all of them).

Then drive (or walk) about a mile up to the Aloha Stadium swap meet (only weds and weekends) http://www.alohastadiumswapmeet.net/

for cheap, imported trinkets and souvenirs. And cheap tshirts. The same vendors seem to repeat after 10-12 stalls, so no need to to keep at it.

Have lunch at a restaurant with a gorgeous beach view:

--Neiman Marcus's Mariposa, ask for a lanai table.

--Kincaid's for fresh fish

--Nico's at Pier 38 (nice takeout lunch place in an otherwise dive-y area, but sit outside and watch the fishing boat crews working)

Really fancy restaurant. Roy's Hawaii Kai has the best mix of fab food and view. Ask for a table facing the water, and go before sunset so you can watch that. Alan Wong's has great food, but cramped seating. Chef Mavro's is the only 5-diamond restaurant in Hawaii, but no view. otherwise, Kincaid's is also great for a sunset dinner. It's not all that fancy, but seriously, if you can't do wine pairings, it's a bit of a waste, isn't it?

Hike Diamond Head, Koko Head, and/or the Makapu`u Lighthouse. These are all basically amateur hikes. The Koko Head stairs are the most grueling. Wear a hat, sunscreen, and good walking/hiking shoes, and take water, a snack, and a cellphone. Maybe bug repellent for the lighthouse trek.

Have shave ice (not "shaved" ice). Waiola Shave Ice is available on Kapahulu near Waikiki, but also can try Island Snow in Kailua, Ice Garden in Aiea (after the swap meet, if you are driving) or Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha in Aina Haina, if you are driving or willing to stop on the bus route. If you get out to Haleiwa, try Aoki's (but skip Matsumoto's everyone goes there, it's crowded, and the shave ice is just okay).

Shop at Ala Moana. It's a huge open air mall with everything from souvenirs to high-end designer shops.

Head out to the turtle beach at Laniakea on the North Shore. You'll know from the crowds where the biggest turtles are. You can swim as long as you don't get to close... the volunteers will be happy to orient you about them too. On the long, empty, rougher stretch of beach, there are lots more, smaller turtles, you can watch them but it's too rough to go into the shallow water there.

Visit Hanauma Bay, http://www1.honolulu.gov/parks/facility/hanaumabay...

It is tough to get in, but if you are successful, you can rent snorkel gear and watch the fish up close and personal. Lines start well before 6am.

Other than that, go with the flow. Skip it if it is stressful to get to! And remember the #1 rule is "Wear sunscreen," or you will burn to a crisp in 10-15 minutes. It is extremely painful to live with sunburn, so apply a high SPF sunscreen liberally and rub it in a few mins later, then reapply regularly. You will still tan.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

-find a sea turtle and name it Paco. xD

• 9 years ago

Learn to surf :)

Watch sunrise over the Volcano

Climb the Volcano haha

Idk

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.