What is Normal Wear and Tear?

LOCATED IN CA. I have rented my house for 6 years. The house is being sold (will not be rented to tenants after I leave). Someone already put a bid on it (being sold as is) but it is not in escrow yet.

My question is, what is normal wear and tear after 6 years? The paint looks dingy even after washing but it's old. The carpets are so/so, but again it's been 6 years. It's also lower quality carpet so I am pretty sure it's life expectancy is over.

Favorite Answer

Basically it is whatever happens to 100% of homes. 100% of homes are going to have faded paint in 6 years. 100% of homes would have some matting to the carpet in 6 years. (carpet lasts about 30 BTW).

Leave it clean and ready to move in and as long as nothing is broken you should get your deposit back in 21 days.

The life expectancy of cheap carpet typically used in rentals is about 5 years. Unless you've cut or burned holes in that carpet, don't worry about it. Just leave it clean.

Likewise, the life expectancy of the paint has expired.

By the way, I'd love to see that carpet that Landlord claims has a life expectancy of 30 years. Maybe in the spare bedroom where there's no traffic, but even good quality carpet isn't likely to last that long. The cheap builder's grade stuff normally installed in rental property barely makes it 3 years.

Source(s): BD

CLEAN the carpeting, steam clean carpeting, thoroughly clean the premises, and do a walk-through with your LL

Your lease survives the sale of the property, and is transferred to new owner

Wear and tear is normal dinginess caused by age, but NOT holes in wall, scrapes on floor or wall

cigarette burns in carpetting or pet urine and discoloration are NOT normal wear and tear

Source(s): real estate investor

Since you have been there 6 years, what you describe (dingy walls and so/so carpet) is normal wear and tear. As long as there are no major stains, holes, burns etc, you should be fine. Clean it as best as you can.

Source(s): I'm a landlord
  • MARK

Normal wear & tear is just a reasonable amount of wear & tear on the place considering the amount of time you were living there. if the house is being sold "as is" and as long as you reasonable care of it since you have been there, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.