? asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 9 years ago

How do you think? Visually?

I think visually; whether I'm thinking of a math problem, or a science problem, whether I'm reading or trying to understand anything, I actually think images. Sometimes it's the literal image, which makes the more abstract concepts a bit harder to grasp until I simplify my thinking, although it would still be visual. How do you think?

• Amna
    Favorite Answer

Picture thinking, visual thinking , visual/spatial learning or right brained learning is the common phenomenon of thinking through visual processing using the part of the brain that is emotional and creative to organize information in an intuitive and simultaneous way.

Thinking in pictures, is one of a number of other recognized forms of non-verbal thought such as kinesthetic, musical and mathematical thinking. Multiple thinking and learning styles, including visual, kinesthetic, musical, mathematical and verbal thinking styles are a common part of many current teacher training courses.

While visual thinking and visual learners are not synonymous, those who think in pictures have generally claimed to be best at visual learning. Also, while preferred learning and thinking styles may differ from person to person, precluding perceptual or neurological damage or deficits diminishing the use of some types of thinking, most people (visual thinkers included) will usually employ some range of diverse thinking and learning styles whether they are conscious of the differences or not.

Concepts related to visual thinking have played an important role in art and design education over the past several decades. Important literature on this subject includes Rudolf Arnheim's Visual Thinking (1969), Robert McKim's Experiences in Visual Thinking (1971), and Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (1979). Contemporary literature includes In The Minds Eye (1997) by Thomas G. West, Upside Down Brilliance (2002) by Linda Silverman, and The Einstein Factor (2004) by Win Wenger.

• WACO

I try very hard not to think at all; it gives me a headache. I use my instincts and then decide and wait for the surprise. As for math, I can make change for a dollar.

I think you already know that we all think in imaginary terms mixed with information stored in the ID.

Source(s): Mad Magazine