Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 9 years ago

can i move to California?

OK, I'm a UK citizen, i am currently at college studying cabinet making and craftsmanship, once i finish my course, i will go to university and get a degree in construction or something, all together will be four years, (as what I'm doing right now counts as the first 2 years of a degree) once i finish i plan on traveling to Australia so i can get experience, and maybe France as well, then i plan on moving to either California or Miami, does this sound plausible? and is it possible if i get my degree?


ibu guru - yes, there are degrees in construction, cabinet making and furniture design, i could pick from any of them, and i will be going to university for a degree in construction or furniture design, i have researched this lol

6 Answers

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    if you can afford it

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    There are basically NINE ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

    (1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

    (2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must. Or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience. (H visas)

    (3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.(L visas)

    (4) You may get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland, are not generally eligible unless you, your spouse or parents were born abroad or held a different citizenship.

    (5)You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)You must be a national of a qualifying Treaty countries. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum (E-2 visas)

    (6)You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets to bring with you. half of that in a few areas. And your background will be investigated to the hilt. (EB-5 visas)

    (7)You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-12 years?

    (8.The R1 visa is available to foreign members of religious denominations, having bona fide non-profit religious organizations in the U.S., for entering the U.S. to carry on the activities of a minister or religious worker as a profession, occupation or vocation

    (9)THE UNUSUAL You are in a position to claim refugee status/political asylum. or You get a member of Congress to sponsor a private bill with legislation that applies just to you.

    The S visa issued to persons who assist US law enforcement to investigate and prosecute crimes and terrorist activities such as money laundering and organized crime

    Recruitment agent will not take you seriously if you are not already in the US. Writing for jobs is really a waste of time; likewise US employers have no idea what foreign qualification are or mean (except Degrees) it may pay you to get your qualification translated into a US equivalent, there are Companies that do this ( ..

    But if you are getting a visa under (2) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. Your Employer will be your sponsor this will cost them upward of $5k. So you can see you have to be offering something really special to get considered They may also have to prove to the Dept of labor that there is no American who can do the job if the position is to be permanent ©

  • 9 years ago

    There are no degrees in construction, and no employment visas in any category include woodworkers, cabinetmakers, carpenters, etc. Come to US as a tourist, when you can afford it. But you won't be moving to US, even on temporary employment visa. Not qualified.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    All of the people who work in cabinet making and craftsmanship in California are Mexican. But the good part is you don't need a work visa because none of them have one.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    To immigrate to US, you must obtain immigrant visa.

    To obtain immigrant visa, you must have a sponsor who has to file Petition for you. Only with approved petition, you can apply visa at US Embassy in your country. A sponsor can be your immediate family member (spouse, parent, child, or sibling) who is either US Citizen or US Permanent Resident. US Employer who is hiring you on permanent basis can be a sponsor as well.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Nope, if an American can do the job then you can't get sponsored.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.