How many calories should a swimmer take in?

I'm on the swim team at my school, out workouts start light then get more rigorous as practice goes on and we swim for 3 hours, 3 days a week, and 5 hours, 2 days a week and I am 5'4 and 115 lbs with a high metabolism. How many calories should I take in?

Favorite Answer

For swimming alone, you use about one calorie for every 3 yards you swim. So, pay attention to your yardage and divide by 3 to determine how many calories you are using for swimming only. Add that to 1600 (which are the approximate calories you use for the basic metabolic rate). The sum (total) are the calories you should eat each day.

If you average 3000 yards/hour, then you are using 1000 calories per hour. That would mean 3000 calories on short days, and 5000 calories on long days.

I don't know the exact amount but my guess would be anywhere from 2500-3500 calories a day. I had to eat like 2200 a day when I was in season (2 1/2-3hr practices 6 days a week plus lifting), but then again I'm also a girl so it's gonna be more for guys.

Source(s): High school swimming yeah yeah! Lol