Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 years ago

Are Cherokee, Apache, Etc, Different Than What Mexicans Are?

Are Cherokee, Apache, etc, tribes, different than Mexicans?

I know they are listed separate, on the Census. There's a box for American Indians and a box for Hispanics/Latinos.

Are Cherokee and American Indians, different (in terms of genetics and blood), than Mexicans?

I've heard sometimes that Indians and Mexicans fought each other in the past, so I'm guessing they are different.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • St N
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Your American Indian, or First Nation, are the people who were here in 1491. Some Mexicans are directly descended from those people although these would be Mayan or Aztec. Other Mexicans are direct line, no inter-marriage Spaniards. The last group is the racially mixed group in which the Spaniards married and had families with the Mayan and Aztec. I belief the Spanish word for this group is Mulatto although that may be derogatory, so use it with care. In Canada, the inter-marriage of French and First Nation are known as Metis. I don't know if English and First Nation are also classed as Metis but it is likely. I'm not sure there is a politically correct word for the same situation in the USA.

There will be genetic differences between American Indians, and the Aztec and Mayans, but the differences are insignificant, equivalent to the difference between an Irishman and a German.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

There are many Native American cultures in the USA that also have tribal members on the Mexican side of the fence. The American ones are called Native Americans. The Mexican ones are called Mexican. You can begin to see the ridiculousness of all this. They are all basically the same people. The only difference is that some tribes got caught on the American side and some on the Mexican side. The Kickapoo, Lipan, Mescalero, Yaqui, Tonoho O'odham have members on both sides of the border. Are they all the same? No. Do they have similar cultures and can be considered cultural and DNA cousins? Yes. The Mescalero Apache from Ojinaga/Chihuahua city have similar DNA haplogroups tied to Mescalero, Lipan of the USA and even the Tarahumara of Mexico. Furthermore, there are people like the Jumano Apache of Mexico/USA were forced into hiding during the 1800's because the mexican government was paying $100 pesos a scalp. The Jumano put on Mexican clothes and blended in. They were masters at blending in. As such, they were told never to discuss their true ancestry for fear of death.

• Derek
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

The North and the South fought each other but they were both white Americans, so just because two "tribes" fight, it doesn't mean they are different. I am guessing that intermingling of Spanish blood may have messed up the genetics of the area, but Mexicans and the Indian tribes probably share the same roots back in pre-history.

• 9 years ago

Yes they are different.

A Mexican is a nationality, is someone born in Mexico. It doesn't matter your race or ethnic group if your born in the boundaries of Mexico than your Mexican.

Just like American isn't just one race, it made of different races and ethnic groups. Same thing with Mexican.

Yes, the Mexican government and the Natives within Mexico did have some military conflict with each other, but it was mostly Mexican of European decent against Native people of Mexico who usually fought over control of lands.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Of course they are different! The Apache aren't the same as the Iroquois, either, or the Lenni Lenape.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.