How do you feel about Plato's Republic VII being a prophesy of Christianity/Islam?

This book is referred to as "The Cave Allegory" and the prisoner who escaped would be the atheists.

The noise made by the religious people here is not more than what the noise would be of the people in the cave when we come to tell you that there is more to life than the cave you find yourself in. In addition the shadows you call reality is nothing but delusions.

I do empathize; and am only here to tell you that your view of reality was prophesied 2400 years ago. (While Plato may not have had Christians/Muslims in mind the allegory is perfect).

Prometheus: You aren't!

Not at all One Man;s Opinion!

People associating shadows with reality and looking to align everything with preconceptions is what I am talking about.

None of the Biblical books were written prior to 187 BCE your shadow world is not real!

Favorite Answer

I think that's the kind of allegory that could probably be seen a lot of different ways.

The books of the Bible are divided into two large sections:

1. The Old Testament

2. The New Testament

All of the history of man is measured against these two timeframes:

B.C. - Before Christ (Old Testament)

A.D. - Anno Domini, which is Latin for "the year of our Lord" (New Testament)

Some "BC" books of the Old Testament are most certainly older than 4,000 years old, but GENERALLY SPEAKING we break it down this way:

4,000 to 2,000 years ago (Old Testament) / BC time

2,000 years ago for 30 or 40 years (New Testament) and time continues to this day as AD

No one knows precisely when any given book of the Bible was written let alone when Plato's Republic was written. But let's say that estimates that it was around 380 BC (380 years before Christ) are accurate.

Now ... you OBVIOUSLY never meant to say that Plato's Republic, "The Cave Allegory" is a "prophesy" of Christ. That would mean that God is real, which I DOUBT you believe. It would mean that Jesus is both real AND the son of God, which I DOUBT you believe. It would mean that God divinely inspired Plato with the prophetic vision of the coming Messiah in the form of this allegory, which I DOUBT you believe.

So, what you really mean to say is that the so-called "Cave Allegory" predates the story of Christ THEREFORE was "borrowed from" when they made up the story of Christ's crucifixion. Ah! THAT'S what you mean!!! Right?

Facts to consider contrary to that position:

1. It's not as if Christ is never mentioned in history UNTIL the moment of His birth. I mean, c'mon! There are more than 400 Old Testament prophecies to the coming of Christ that were fulfilled by Christ's birth, life, death, and resurrection. Here's a sampling:

http://www.biblestudy.org/prophecy/old-testament-p...

2. So, while the Cave Allegory does in fact predate Christ's actual birth, it does NOT predate the prophecies of Christ!!! The earliest prophecies of the coming of Christ were well over 4,000 years ago, which predates Christ by 2,000 years. The Cave Allegory predates Christ by a mere 380 years.

3. Had the story of Jesus Christ never been told, NO ONE would find any similarity between the story of a crucified dead and risen Lord in Plato's Cave Allegory! In fact, what atheists have done is worked in reverse order ...

a) The story of Jesus's life, death, and resurrection have been told, which includes burial in a cave

b) Found a story that predates that story that involves a cave and then extrapolated (with a GREAT stretch of imagination) that Plato's story inspired the Biblical account

What can I say? I challenge ANY atheist to read the accounts of Jesus's death and burial in the cave with the Cave Allegory. Make two columns:

1. Similarities between the two stories

2. Differences between the two stories

An impartial and honest assessment shows that there is NO WAY that Plato's story could be the inspiration for the burial of Jesus Christ! And ... as the link above shows, LONG before Plato, there were prophecies to Christ's life, death, and resurrection. Those predate Plato!

Nice try though! Sort of.....

In Christ

"greater stepped forward" relies upon on your attitude. study Plato's political suggestions from the Republic, and his theory of varieties is merely nonsense. I did like the cave allegory however. a lot of Greek theory replaced into consistent with a curious fusion of technological information and mysticism. a lot of this got here from Pythagoras, and much replaced into entire rubbish.

You have a very poor grasp of Plato's Cave allegory...

Source(s): Philosophy degree
  • zIp-Ǝ

I would say it is more to with spiritual illumination but I don't have a philosophy degree. The one thing I can say is that true philosophy transcends all interpretations and ultimately becomes a part of one's own philosophy.

• Frog

That's the only bit of that book I read, weird! It now sits by my toilet unread and unloved.