What is that thing called that is used to check the foundation level of a house?

It looks like a long and narrow rectangle, and it has 3 tubes of liquid with 1 bubble in each tube.

5 Answers

  • Sean
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    The simplest is called a a level. They have more complex and integrated ones such as a dummy level or builder's auto level. Basically what you see Surveyors peeking through when they are making up plans for road work on laying out for a new building construct.

    Also there is something called a an electronic water level or digital leveling system (see link below).

  • Irv S
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    You describe a spirit level, but to check foundations over a distance,

    there's probably a red dot laser involved as well.

    We used to do it with a water filled hose with clear tubes on the ends.

    ("Water seeks it's own level".)

  • 9 years ago

    What you describe is called a beam level. These are used anywhere level over a long distance needs to be checked.

    Source(s): Experience
  • Allan
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

    It's known as a Spirit Level in England. God knows what they may call it in North America?

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    It's a level, but I'm sure it must have some fancy name other than that.....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.