Photography-DSLR question!?

Hi :)

tomorrow i'm going to shoot an outdoor dance performance (daytime!) and i'd like some advice on what settings to use on my camera...

i have a Nikon D5100 with a 18-55 lens (or 55-200)

any tips? :)

like should i go with manual focus or auto? and shutter and aperture values???

Favorite Answer

This depends on how bright it is and how close you are. Take a couple of shots on (P) and see how they look to you. That might just work out fine.

If you want sharp images, you will want a faster shutter speed, like 1/500 or faster, so you might try using (S) and setting at 1/500 to see if the camera will cooperate. You might need to bump the ISO up to 500 or higher.

Without seeing anything, I will suggest manual settings of ISO 500, f/5.6, and 1/1250, if it's a sunny day. Try that and change the shutter speed it it looks too bright or dark for you.

MY GOODNESS! Yahoo! thinks I have 91 spelling errors in this message and, yes indeed, I DID have the CAPS on for a moment. Thanks for looking out for me, Yahoo!

• keerok

Set camera to Auto mode, Auto ISO, Auto white balance, single focus point at center, EV to 0 (zero) and AF on. If you are far from the action like on the sidelines, use the 55-200mm. If you can get near or mingle around the dancers, the 18-55mm would be much better.

• Taylor

Your lens choice will depend on how far away you are from the stage. Use Shutter Speed Priority 9TV) @ 1/250 sec and adjust your ISO accordingly to maintain 1/250 sec exposures. Don't be afraid to crank up your ISO - your camera can handle it... Use autofocus.

there are no magic settings... a good photographer makes decisions at the time... put everything on AUTO, and try to fix in editing - cos you sound like someone who has no idea about the basics of photography...

Small aperture and shutter speed. Depending on how bright it is, adjust the iso/ shutter speed. Hope this helps!

Where did sunshine 16 go?