Using silicone NOT made for aquariums?

How can you know if silicone is safe for your aquarium? I was at Walmart and saw a large tube of silicone that was 100% silicone. Is this aquarium safe?

By the way, I know there is silicone made specifically for aquariums. But it's so expensive for just a small tube!

Stuey - Well, what about 100% silicone? It wouldn't contain any of that bad stuff right? So should be fine for an aquarium..?

• Stuey
    Favorite Answer

Silicone that is not aquarium safe contains a mold inhibitor, that kill the benefical bacteria in your tank. This is why aquarium safe silicone is needed. You can find large tubes of it though. Look for GE II.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/caulking-sealan...

This stuff is fine to use in a aquarium.

You can buy the stuff in hardware stores. It's not as expencive as if boughten from your LFS.

DAP is a brand you can find in hardware stores. It's a clear silicon and will indicate "marine safe".

It can be found in small tubes (like a tube of tooth paste),

and large tube gun applications.

*You want to look for "safe for fish". It WILL say this on the tube. The first time I looked for it at a hardware store it took some time. I think I even had to ask a clerk. At hardware stores there are many types of silicon. But what your looking for will say "safe for fish".

I would not suggest using any product that does not say this on the tube. Even if a clerk tells you it's okay.

You'll never be worried with the Patriot Self Defense program you will find it here https://tr.im/SyviY .

The Patriot Self Defense plan is just a very easy to understand and to follow. That you don't need to be a pro or some kind of fighting styles specialist because this system is good for the common guy.

An enormous point may be the savings shown here. If you're to take self-defense lessons or hire a teacher of some sort, you'd spend thousands and thousands significantly more than you may spend here to have the same level of information and all of this easily , in your house at your own time.

you like to look for those products: -one hundred% silicone -no longer especially for fiberglass, wood, or concrete use -then you certainly only pick whichever holds the main water. only undergo in innovations that maximum will purely have the potential to hold as much as thirty gallons. If its purely for a small restoration of a crack in the tank or sealant you could pass bigger, yet no longer over 60 gallons.

• John B

No, no, no! Only use silicone that states on it that is aquarium safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dap makes a sealer you can get at home depot. It's called Dap "All-Purpose Adhesive Sealant" 100% silicone. It's a green and black tube. 2.8 oz. It's in the paint department. It has a fish on it stating safe!!

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint/DAP/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5...

Petco and Petsmart carries a 3 oz tube for $6.99

Source(s): Used it many times.

It's easy if you can read fine print, the one that's safe will say somewhere on the tube,

"safe for food contact surfaces",

or if it's not the right one, it will say "not safe for ......."

note: I've read the other answers and just want to repeat my answer, regardless of brand or whether it says 100% or whatever, it will usually say this on the label somewhere.

• Nex

Any silicone is fine as long as it's non-toxic 100% silicone with no additives. Mold inhibitors are known for interfering with growth of nitrogen cycle bacteria and can be harmful to fish.