Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 9 years ago

At what point to greys usually grey out?

I'm sure its different for every horse, but usually, when do horses stop the greying out process? If you have a grey, when did they start to stop?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

What do you mean, stop? Become completely white and lose the "gray" in their hair coats? It's normally between the ages of five and seven, I've seen dapple grays go as old as twelve though so sometimes it's anyone's guess. It depends on genes, diet, turnout, climate, blanketing... lots of things.

You asked the question about the fleabitten grey earlier right? I think that fleabitten greys can go much longer than the typical dapple grey, I'm not even completely sure that fleabitten horses white out like typical greys.

ETA: Mk I had to Google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_%28horse%29#The_...

"Most horses who become flea-bitten grays still go through a brief period when they are pure white."

&

"The flea-bitten pattern comes about because of somatic loss of the duplication that causes Greying with age, enabling normal pigmentation to be reestablished."

So a fleabitten should technically remain fleabitten throughout their years.

Lv 7
    9 years ago

I've known steel greys turn flea bitten by age 4, and others who are still steel grey well into their teens. There is no standard, or average. Unless you know how the parent/s greyed...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.