I saw a driver break a traffic law in front of a police officer who did nothing. What can I do?

Location: Major intersection in Raleigh, NC

Time: 1:30 PM

Traffic: Medium/Heavy

What happened: A sedan was on the right hand side of an intersection waiting to turn on red. The problem is that there was a sign that said "No turn on Red" and a police car was right behind him. The car still took a right on red right in front of the cop (who did not take a right on red or follow the violator).

I jotted down the cruiser's license plate # and the 3 digit number on the lower left on the back windshield. I did not take down any info of the violator's car.

Would it be possible to do anything? Perhaps call the station and inform them that the cop did nothing?

It was a typical police officer in a cruiser and he definitely saw the driver turn right on red.

Also, I did not take down the violator's info because there was not enough time for me to look at his plate.

Favorite Answer

First of all, the officer could have been on a call, or receiving a call which was more important than the violation. Second, if you wanted to do something, you could have written down the cars information, and then reported the violation. Third, you probably could report the officer's actions, but most likely, if it's not a repeat complaint, from multiple people, it won't make a difference. (The police officer might not have seen the violation as well.)

It makes no sense to me why you would write down the police cars number and not the violators. If you wrote down the violators number, and called 911 they could have stopped him and given him a ticket. If you called the station about the officer you would probably get nothing accomplished. They would probably also ask why you're wasting your time with the cop car rather than the actual violators car.

Not all cops are traffic cops. Many are en route from call to call, and those on patrol have to weigh the severity of a traffic violation and the time a stop would take against waiting—that is, being available—for something more serious.

_

Honestly its not your concern nor your business. The officer might have not even been a traffic officer or may have been instructed to do something specific like find a criminal or something.

It's a waste of your time, the station's, and the officers.

What can you do? Get over it and move on. No one cares. Snitch.