Ben asked in SportsBasketball · 9 years ago

how to be a better B-Ball player? 10 points best answer?

im 15, 5'9 weighting 170. im pretty strong from working out, but i dont have any up(vertical leap/Jump) and im not aggressive? how can i get better, i practice almost every day alone but when i play my friend who is bigger(in height) i always loose 20-4? he packs all my shot, strips me, and even out rebound me. What should i do? i want to get better so my Junior year*(next 2 years) i can maybe make the school team. How should i be more aggressive, be better at doing lay ups, and more tips in basketball

Get taller, practice dribbling 2 hrs a day if he always strips it. Just believe! I know this doesnt help much but it's all I can give. GL

sounds like you need to study the fundamentals, take this advice to the heart, "Insanity is the def of doing the same thing expecting different results"

Out smart him, if hes bigger then you he will probably try to block you so just fake

• Ergg

Focus on defense first.

The main focus is staying in front of your opponent. If you can't stop your opponent from driving on you then you will rarely win one on one. Give some space to start with and know that he wants to go to strong side if you let him. Either be ready for it or shade that way to encourage him to go to his weak side. Make him shoot over you until he makes 2 or 3 in a row. If he shoots from outside, you are in much better position for the rebound and it's a less percentage shot. To steal the ball, you have to get low. When attempting to steal, keep your palms up and arms active. Once your oppenent starts dribbling the ball, he is much less likely to shot and there is more time as a defender to react to it if he does. I actually prefer to watch the ball then the guy. If he's going to drive, it's going to be in the hand the ball is in so he can shield the ball from you. You should be close enough to your opponent to deflect or steal any cross over attempt and be ready for it. If the ball is ever bouncing in front of you, go after it. If your oppenent does get by you the reach around his body and poke the ball away from him trick works a lot once you perfect it.

Rebounding is all about positioning. When a shot goes up, do not go towards the basket, but find your guy. Get your hand on him then use your hand as a guide while you turn your body into him to make sure he stays behind you. If your guy tries to run you over or pushes you forward, then take a fall and call the foul. If you are in position to box your guy out, you will improve your rebounding dramatically. If you are not in position and you are in front of him, then instead of trying to out jump someone you can't out jump, stay on your feet and wait for him to come down. Use an uppercut move and punch the ball out with force once he comes down with the ball. If you are not in position and you are behind your guy, then don't go for the rebound, but wait for him to come down. Then go over his shoulder or to his side and swat your hand straight down onto the ball. You are more likely to foul when doing this, but it doesn't give up the easy put back.

Offense: to set up your shot, you've got to use pump fakes, jab steps, quick moves, and hard cuts. In one on one, I will normally start out most possessions with a jab step then pump fake and then another jab step. I am looking for my opponents reaction. If he is aggressive, he will move when you move so when you give him a good pump fake, he's thinking I'm ready to block this shot and that's when you try and drive past him. If your opponent is not moving towards you, he's thinking I'm ready for the drive and that's when the jab step and then shot may be the better option. If you are having trouble being blocked, then you will need to try to shoot on the run more and try a slight fade away.

Don't be predictable: mix up your outside shots with your drives. If you can get your guy thinking you will do one thing, then it's a slight advantage to do the opposite. This is assuming that he can stop you from scoring on whichever one you are best at. In 5 on 5, you have less opportunity to setup your guy so you should take what the defense gives you and play to your strengths. My favorite move is to walk a guy to my left then start to drive left with a step or two the plant my left foot and spin back to my right and head for the right elbow and pull up for a running elbow shot with a slight fade away (crossovers work too unless the defense is in your face). If you can get your guy going one way, it's harder for him to stay with you when you do a quick move like this. When going straight to the rim he could still beat you there or block you from behind.

You have to keep your guard hand up when dribbling and develop a drive that will force him to back off of you if he plays really tight. To start a drive while dribbling, head fakes really work well especially when you attack then step back and head fake and then attack again.

Layups are all about practice. Spend 10-20 minutes per personal practice on different types of layups. Go at the basket from different directions and not just 45 degrees. Stand under the basket and work on finding the spot on the backboard and using spin to help it go in. I normally alternate from right to left to make sure my weak hand gets the same reps. Try going from one step out of the basket then rebound to one step the other way. Practice 45 decree shots (like 3s or further out), top of the key, free throws, elbow shots, and in front of the rim shots (both under hand flips with touch and overhand).

In 5 on 5, you have to move without the ball. Set screens use someone standing as a screen, Set a picks Cut to the basket. Play good help defense. Double team post players and double box out good rebounders.