Class wide detention...?

ok my geometry teacher said he would give the whole class a detention cuz he got a note from the sub. is this legal? should i stand up to him? if so, what should i say?

Favorite Answer

What is "allowed" depends on the school principal, and whether he'd back up the teacher's discipline.

Normally, I think it should depend also on what report the sub-teacher left. If "everyone" was disrespectful, then it could be fair, and allowed. If the sub did not accuse everyone, but only a smaller group of students, then it may not be so fair.

Overall, consider it a "learning experience" that life is often unfair, and you can even have to pay a price for the bad behavior of others. Sometimes doing nothing, is the same thing as if you actually were rude or disrespectful.

So, if you did "nothing wrong", did you also march out of class to report the bad behavior to the principal, on the day/time the problem occurred. If not, you are an accessory to the "crime".

Take the penalty like a man.

I bet the next sub in your class will have an easy day, lol.

I would say, no, don't stand up to him. At least, not in a disrespectful way. You may want to see him after class and talk to him privately to let him know the whole class doesn't deserve detention. If he wants to give everyone detention, and they deserve it, then there isn't much to be done. He is the teacher, after all.

However, if you feel something isn't right, and you didn't do anything wrong, I would advise seeing an administrator. Speak with a principal or guidance counselor about why you feel the situation is unfair.

Yeah, there's no law that says anything about teachers giving detentions. Some of my teachers have done so before, but not because of a note from the sub. You can try to convince him that you weren't doing anything wrong and have people account for that, but disciplinary actions that are legal, such as detentions, are up to the teacher, unless the teacher is a Nazi and gives people detentions for being black, but this obviously isn't the case.

• Amna

yes its legal for your teacher to do that.