AK asked in SportsOther - Sports · 9 years ago

Can someone please explain Street League (skateboarding) to me?

I've been trying to get into skateboarding for a while, but the only event I know to watch is X Games.

I've heard of Street League, but I don't know what it is! And what's The Berrics? I watched some videos from last year's on youtube, do the same people skate every year?

I really like Braydon Szafranski, Chris Cole, and Ryan Sheckler. (sorry if you guys hate Sheckler, I don't have a big problem with him)

Thanks! Any explanation will help!

Favorite Answer

Well! Good to know Street League and The Berrics are starting to get some recognition.

Street League is almost like X Games, but ONLY skateboarding. It's a park completely set up in a stadium made for competition between multiple pro skateboarders. The park is normally very advanced, and even difficult for many pros out there. Just like the X Games, Street League has first, second, third, and so on. It is set up just like the X Games as well, one skater is given a chance to land a trick on an object (stairs, rails, pyramids, etc.), and are given points depending on the difficulty and cleanliness of the trick and land. Street League 2012 is coming later this year (towards July I think?) and I can't wait!

The Berrics, on the other hand is something quite different. The Berrics itself, is a private skatepark somewhere in California that only skaters invited can skate unless it is opened to the public at the time. What I'm assuming that you're referring to, is either the Battle at the Berrics, or the other series' that they host. The Battle at the Berrics (or BATB) is a tournament style setup for games of S.K.A.T.E. A game of S.K.A.T.E. is like H.O.R.S.E. in basketball.

Let's say that there is a game between Braydon Szafranski and Chris Cole. They play rock-paper-scissors to choose who goes first. If Cole wins, he sets trick. Same way in H.O.R.S.E., the first player sets the spot where the second player would have to shoot from. in S.K.A.T.E., the first skater sets a trick and the second skater would have to copy that trick and land. If Cole sets a kickflip, Szafranski would have to land a kickflip to avoid a letter. If Szafranski missed the kickflip, he would recieve an S. same way someone would receive an H. in H.O.R.S.E. if they missed the shot. This continues until the last letter where the offensive skater gets two tries. Once a skater loses, he is dropped out of BATB and the other goes on.

Here is a huge skater, Mike Mo Capaldi, and he explains BATB as well in an interview for some news interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ60oHx3SIw

Youtube thumbnail

BATB4 ended last year but there will most probably be another one this year (I'm also pretty hyped up for that!).

And Sheckler is a great skater! He just isn't very fond among many other skaters because of how popular he gets at the rate he does. I think he's becoming a more "normal" skater as it is.

Sorry for making my explanations so long, but I didn't want to leave any spots too blurry.

Hope this helped!

• Pamela

Penny Lane Baker Street