fake water for a diorama?

I need to make a diorama for school and i have to put water in it. It need to be light weight and look kind of real.I still haven't found anything that works. Please help.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Some clear glue would work. I can't find anything else :/

Source(s): Me :p
  • 4 years ago

Water Diorama

• 9 years ago

Color a little dish soap blue with food coloring. Stir carefully so it doesn't foam. Crumple some aluminum foil and then flatten it out. Paint it with the blue soap. Let it dry.

or

Use a cup of sugar and a few teaspoons of water. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Boil it on the stove, stirring constantly. Let it boil to the hard crack stage, so it will turn hard as a rock when cool and dry. Color it light blue. Crumple some foil, flatten it out, and make a raised lip around the edge. Put this onto a cookie sheet, preferably one with sides. Pour your blue boiled sugar into this and let it cool.

• 9 years ago

There are all kinds of ways to make "fake water" from simple to complex, from highly realistic to more graphic.

The simplest thing would be to paint the area blue (or brown, green, etc) then do something to make it look "wet" (a sheet of plastic wrap or rigid sheet of plastic, coating with a glossy clear-drying medium like polyurethane or gloss acrylic medium or just thinned-down permanent white glue--or ModPodge, same thing). Or you could put scrunched plastic wrap on top, etc. Or use a fat blue permanent Magic Marker to color a sheet of aluminum foil, then scrunch it up some (or not)...it's a bit transparent.

If you want to actually use something solid and clear, there would be various options... check this page at my site for much more on those things (the simplest would be to pour polyurethane or even floor polish like Mop N Glo, etc, into some kind of depression and wait for it to dry...perhaps coloring it first with food coloring or small amount of ink or acrylic paint):

http://glassattic.com/polymer/other_materials.htm (click on the"Faux Water" sub-sub-category, about 2/3 of the way down list at top of page...then scroll down)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.