My son escapes from his crib?

Alright my son is 17 months old and he discovered he could climb out of the pack and play he'd been using as a bed, so we got a crib as it would be taller and more difficult for him to escape from. Here's the thing, the crib sides are uneven (it looks somewhat like a sleigh bed) and one is about two inches too short, and they are not adjustable.

He found out that if he pulls himself up even just a little he can use his feet to climb his way out of the crib and has done so on a number of occasions. Luckily we have a lack of space at the moment so his crib is at the foot of our bed, and when he climbs out he lands on our mattress. The thing is he refuses to sleep in his bed at all, to the point of two hour crying jags when we try to put him in it, and even after taking the front panel off and trying to get him to sleep in it that way he simply climbs out. He also climbs up and down on chairs even to the point of pulling them out from the table to climb them.

Anyone have a similar situation with their kids? If so did you manage to get them to stop? He's getting to the point where he's climbing out of the side of the crib as well and that will end with him landing on his head on the floor (he nearly did the other night but my fiance caught him) so I would really love to hear if anyone know what I might be able to do before he hurts himself.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

For his own safety it is time to put him in a toddler bed or regular bed.

You are not going to stop him. He will get out if he want to get out. He is to young to understand he can get hurt.

Source(s): homeschooling mom of 3

I would move him into a toddler bed, he is obviously getting bored in hs crib and maybe feels restricted so sounds like time to move to the next stage otherwise he will hurt himself, something he is still too young to understand.

Source(s): Mum of 2 soon to be 3, daughter in toddler bed at 16 months.

You could get either a toddler bed, or get one of the nets that you can put over their crib and zip open and shut.

Source(s): Have used the net