I passed out before giving blood?

Today I went to get my blood taken (for the third time in my life) at the local clinic. I have no fear of needles or anything, I've never had a problem with the whole blood thing. Last time, I even looked while it was happening and found it kind of interesting. So no problems mentally. However, the first time I gave blood, I had a huuuge bruise because my veins are "hard to find" and they must have prodded around a bit too much. Still, didn't really bother me.

But today I was ready to give blood, and the lady couldn't find my vein (heh as usual) but she poked around for a while and finally after saying "I give up on this arm" she pulled the needle out, which caused a really strange pain, and as soon as that happened I started losing consciousness. I didn't completely pass out, but I was so so close, I just kept talking to keep myself there. But I did go limp and lose my hearing and such for an instant...

Anyway, it wasn't anything like "ahh pain in my arm I feel sick there is a needle in me I feel woozy" because nothing about the situation bothered. And also, the pain didn't send any kind of panic through me that would trigger a kind of instinctual passing out... It was just like she physically made me pass out, like she hit something wrong in my arm...

I didn't even get a drop of blood drawn either! So it's not like I was faint from giving any blood!

I'm so confused as to why I passed out and I wonder if anyone could help me understand if there is another cause besides lack of blood or fear of needles/blood.

*I also "fasted", but I literally ate right at 9:30 at night and got my blood done at about 11am... I wasn't even really hungry, I'd just woken up. I also had a good sized water bottle... And since I didn't get any blood out, I don't see why that would matter, I mean I do that all the time when I go to school and skip breakfast and I don't pass out!

Thanks for the help!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Sarah
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Google Vaso vagal and or syncope

Source(s): ED Registered nurse
  • Pamela
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

My mom gave blood. The next day, her arm was swollen and tons of blood got under her skin. She was in pain for days.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.