Yummy things to cook?

I love cooking and want to practice. Does anyone have any good easy recipes for something to cook? (Cook, not bake-- I don't really want to make cookies, cake, cupcakes, etc. I know how to bake those already :D)

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Fajitas?

They use a lot of ingredients.

Ingredients

1 (2 pound) flank steak

1 cup (jarred or canned) pickled jalapenos, including the onions and carrots that come in the jar or can

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 medium white onion, sliced 1/2-inch thick, keeping the rings together

2 tablespoons olive oil

4 poblano chiles

2 jalapeno chiles

1 garlic clove, peeled and thinly sliced

1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano

Flour tortillas, guacamole and pico de gallo, for serving

Directions

Marinate the flank steak in the pickled jalapenos, at room temperature, for 1 hour.

Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high.

Season the steak with salt and pepper, to taste, and grill until nicely charred, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove from the grill and allow the steak to rest on a cutting board while preparing the rajas.

Secure each piece sliced onion horizontally with wooden skewers. Brush both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Grill the onions, turning occasionally, until soft and charred, about 10 to 15 minutes. Put the poblano and jalapeno chiles on the grill and char them on all sides. Once the chiles are blackened on all sides, set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, remove the charred skin, stem and seeds. Cut the chiles into strips. Once the onions are cool enough to handle, remove the skewers and separate the onions into rings.

Preheat a large cast iron pan or a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Slice the flank steak, on the bias, into thin strips. When the pan is hot, coat the bottom of the pan with some olive oil. Add the sliced garlic and dried oregano, and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the sliced steak, onions and chile strips to the pan to heat through. Transfer to a serving platter and serve piping hot with flour tortillas, guacamole and pico de gallo.

• 5 years ago

Source(s): Perfect Paleo Recipe Guide : http://paleocookbook.raiwi.com/?fsPz
  • 9 years ago

For practice, nothing beats learning how to cook eggs for breakfast. There are so many different ways and mastering an omelette should be something great to eat as well as learning. (Heck, if you screw it up you still have perfectly edible scrambled eggs.) Or as the previous poster said, making good quality hashbrowns, which include high heat and resisting the urge to stir them. Look at breakfast casserole/bake recipes, they're almost fool-proof.

Fry up two pounds of hashbrowns and put into an 8x8 baking dish.

Cook meat (and drain) of choice (Chorizo, sausage, ham, use leftover taco meat, whatever) and put that on top of the hashbrowns.

Whisk up 7-8 eggs with a splash of milk and a hearty spoonful of Cajun seasoning, pour it over the dish. Bake at 400F for about 20 minutes, top with shredded cheddar, and finish baking until the cheese is as melted or browned as you like.

• Texas
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Jumbalaya.

There are many variations, and the foundation is simple. A trinity of vegetables, 3 equal parts of Onions, Celery and Peppers, so you get to chop up veggies. I use some different veggies when I feel like it. The important thing is to make it COLORFUL so you have Green celery, Yellow Peppers and Red/Purple Onions for example. For peppers I like to use either Yellow or Red peppers, and if I want to make it hot use Chili peppers or Jalapeno peppers. Some people say remove the seeds, I'm from Texas and I like it hot so I do NOT remove the seeds.

You saute the veggies in oil, you can use olive oil. I usually cook chicken breast with it, and with a few pieces of bacon. For the more traditional you would use shrimp and louisiana hot sausage. I also may make it with ground beef, in which case you don't need to add oil, the fat from the meat is enough to cook the veggies in (same story if you use bacon).

This is "one pot style" cooking, you can call it saute or stir fry, the meat and veggies cook together, and when the meat is done, you add rice (dry) and stir it around for about 3 minutes to absorb whatever oil and moisture, and then you add water in about 2:1 ratio (i.e. 1 cup rice, 2 cups water), but don't add the water all at once, add half cup, stir and repeat. And if you like you can try using a different grain instead of Rice, Barley works very nicely but needs to cook longer and you need to add more water and it gets bigger than rice and adds a bit of a nutty flavor. Quinoa also is good, and is comes out smaller and lighter than rice if you want it thinner.

Then about 20 minutes more and the rice/grain is done and you have your Jambalaya. If you added Jalapeno peppers and left the seeds in, it probably doesn't need any seasoning. If you left stuff out, then you probably need to add some tabasco or something to make it proper Cajun.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Chicken Pasta Primavera

Ingredients

•2 cups uncooked spiral pasta

•1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed

•2 tablespoons butter

•2 garlic cloves, minced

•1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli-cauliflower blend, thawed

•3/4 cup heavy whipping cream

•3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

•1 teaspoon salt

•1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

•Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute chicken in butter until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the vegetables and cream; cook until vegetables are tender.

• Drain pasta. Add the pasta, cheese, salt and pepper to skillet; cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.

Turtle Ice Cream Sandwiches

INGREDIENTS:

8-10 ice cream sandwiches

1- 8 ounce container lite cool whip-thawed

caramel ice cream topping

chocolate ice cream topping

1/2 cups chopped pecans

2 tablepsoons butter

1 teaspoon Kosher salt

DIRECTIONS:

In a saucepan, melt the butter over mdium heat. Add the pecans and toast, but do not burn for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the Kosher salt and let cool completely. Meanwhile, spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with a little cooking spray and line with Saran wrap (this will allow you to pull the dessert out neatly to cut it when it is frozen). Layer the bottom with ice cream sandwiches and cut some to fit if you need to. Layer with cool whip, drizzle with the caramel and chocolate and sprinkle on half of the pecans. Add another layer of ice cream sandwiches, and layer with cool whip. Freeze for at least one hour. Remove the dessert from the pan using the Saran wrap and cut into pieces. On a dessert plate, drizzle chocolate sauce, set the dessert in the middle, then drizzle with caramel and top with pecans

Source(s): Momma's recipe cabinet
  • 9 years ago

Shrimp Stir Fry

• 9 years ago

Hashbrowns!! it's the easiest thing ever, you just need 6 potatoes and 1 onion shredded together and fried ( makes 6 people )

• 9 years ago

Go to the web site called AllRecipes. They will give you recipes based on what ingridients that you have

• 9 years ago

I love making dinners too! I love making soups and curries. Chicken curry is mfave as chicken is so cool to cut!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.