Why are police departments becoming so militarized?

Departments now have tanks, access to drones, wear military fatigues, have special operations units and more.................

Who do police think they are going to war with?

Why has the line between the military and law enforcement become so blurred in recent history?

Favorite Answer

Well, I have been in police work for 40 years, and I don't think your observation is even remotely accurate. In many ways, police departments are becoming more humanistic and technology oriented. the old rules and military discipline are fading away, and even the paramilitary organizational tables have faded away into "teams" and "work groups: as opposed to squads and platoons. Lawyers are making more and more investigative decisions,and management is being trained in civilian management institutes, as opposed to the old militaristic models

As far as uniforming, BDU type uniforms are far more practical and comfortable than the uniforms that we wore for years, which were more akin to military dress uniforms, and required dry cleaning instead of machine washing. There is a big difference in somebody bleeding or puking on a pair of cotton rip-stop pants than someone puking or bleeding on a pair of $60.00 gabardine uniform pants.

I runied lots of uniforms running down and alleys andd wrestling with bad guys.

The tanks are a great idea. Whether you noticed it or not, people take hostages and barricade themslves in buildings, and police offciers get killed trying to get to them. Anything that helps keep police officers alive is a good idea.

Special operations units and superior fire power are not a political statement, they are a necessity. Unless you don't watch the main stream news, you might miss the fact that bad guys have superior armament to the police very often anymore, The North Holloywood bank robbery is a perfect example (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shoot... You may also have missed the kilings in Columbine High School. All officers now are trained to actively seek and a neutralize (KILL) active shooters, and not just wait for SWAT personnel.

I know lots of people want to make a political issue out of modern policing. They are usually people whio have no idea what a true police state is. I have been in a few, and the experience is an awakening. Ask anyone who fled Soviet Russia, or East Germany or even Cuba if you want to find out what a real police state is.

I am in favor of keeping officers alive. I have buried four friends who were Murdered in the line of duty. Three were very close to me. We are going to war with better armed criminals and organized criminals, whihc includes everything from Latin Armerican Drug Cartels to American Street gangs. last year 71 US officers were killed by gun fire. We will continue to do what we do no matter what.

By the way, I don't expect a "Best Answer". Most people who ask qouestions like this are not mature enough (or intelligent enough) to understand real world problems and the need for real world solutions. I worked in Law Enforcement in the early 70s and saw real political upheaval. This newest generation of "Social" or "Political" activists will be the capitalists and conservatives of 20 years from now.

Have you seen how ferocious the Mexican street wars are? When I worked on the border, Mexican gangs, and even Mexican military would cross into USA and shoot at the border patrol officers.

1. Police do not have tanks, but they have armored vehicles. Even security companies use armored vehicles to pick up cash.

2. Drones are for surveillance only.

3. Military fatigues are worn only by special units who engage a gunman who has fortified himself in a building..

4. Special operations units? Financial crime investigation is a special operations unit. What's wrong with that?

• John F

Did you watch the news tonight/ The real news,, not the wacky on-line news? Did you see the cops checking the campus for the shooter. they used an armored car, and some were wearing utilities. Made sense, didn't it? That guy killed 7 people. Does that answer your question?

Where do you live kid, Sunnybrook Farm. In my city the cops are shooting it out with gang bangers armed with AK47s and MAC10s. The criminals are blurring the line with automatic weapons and reinforced bunkers. They are shooting up high schools and colleges with automatic weapons. How do you think the cops should respond? Maybe if we just legalize pot all the problems will go away, right kid?

New World Order is taking over. The sovereignty of our nation and the rights of the citizenry is and has been washed away. Agenda 21, UN small arms ban, patriot act, NDAA, and a host of free trade agreements have brought this upon us. There are sheriffs around the country that are resisting but without support from the people I don't know if they will last.

• Mitt

They are going to war with the bad guys. Whose side are you on? The drug cartels, the black panthers, the Skin heads, the bank robbers, the Bloods, the Crips,s,.MS13?

I believe we are witnessing the well funded civilian army that Obama talked about. They even hire people with a record. That doesn't say much for the quality of their people. Also they are less into protecting people than they are into catching them at something. There are swat teams in every city and they are used in ways that they have never been used before.

• Jack

I guess bad guys with automatic weapons is okay, but cops with heavy duty fire power is militaristic. What do you have to say for yourself? Guys like you make me sick.

In case the people wanted to refresh the tree of liberty with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

• Bill

news flash,

Allways been that way.