Stephen asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 8 years ago

Is there a way to charge deep cycle batteries with free energy besides solar?

I want to set up some rechargeable batteries to allow for lighting and a small refrigerator. I don't want to use solar to charge them. Is there another easy way to keep them charged with free energy?

Update:

I don't mean free as in won't cost me anything at all or not cost me time and personal energy. I mean free as in no cost for being on the electric grid. For me it is not about saving money, I want to be able to generate power without visible proof that I am doing so. For example, no solar panels or wind turbines that people can see. Any other ideas?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There is no such thing as free energy. Even human powered devices to produce electricity require calories, and that cost money for the foods. It costs more for the food for human energy to generate the electricity than to plug into the grid.

Some people get mad at me but if you do the math, you will find it costs more to human power than plug into the grid.

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Source(s): an electrical contractor since 1978 and have worked with wind and solar.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • John W
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

If you have enough land, you can use wind. The turbine has to be 30 feet above the buildings and trees, it has to be two tower heights from any building and it must fall completely on your property should it fall in any direction.

The best alternate energy source is micro-hydro if you have a creek or stream on your property but water rights are difficult to navigate. Owning the land doesn't mean you necessarily have the water rights. If a neighbour had in the distant past asked for written permission to drill a well then the water rights have been assigned to the neighbours property. Short of talking all your neighbours into signing for permission to put in a water turbine, you'll either have to navigate the morass of civic records to locate where the water rights are or you'll have to just do it and hope no one finds out till you can say you've been doing it for years without complaint.

If you can get a SLOWPOKE reactor from Canada ( it's sold to Universities ), it can actually run unmonitored in your basement and generate electricity by stirling engines and provide hot water for heating. It's the only nuclear reactor certified for unmonitored operation as it's passively safe, it can't melt down and it doesn't need constant cooling when shutdown. The Canadians also designed a solid state nuclear reactor for the American arctic defense stations that the US wanted and those are also passively safe but the stations weren't built for political reasons. The solid state reactors are called the Canadian nuclear battery because they were entirely solid. The Chinese have copied the Canadian SLOWPOKE reactors and are now copying the US airforce's molten salt reactor originally designed for the atomic plane. The SLOWPOKE, the Chinese copy, the nuclear battery and the molten salt reactor are the only inherently safe nuclear reactors in the world.

• 8 years ago

There are small amounts of electricity that are available in nature. You don't say how many deep cell batteries or how many KW-hr. If you would like to look over a large number of alternatives proven and unproven you should look here:

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory

Something that does not seem to be on the extensive list is an "Earth Battery." These were used to power the telegraph over 100 years ago. Here is a YouTube vid : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnMReMXq5Q

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

• Audie
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

The word free needs to be eliminated when it comes to energy. There has to be some investment of some kind. Look at wind generators used on sailing vessels. Look at building a savinus rotor. Consider mounting an altrrnator to a regular windmill.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

whats up Q, you have 2 alternatives right here. One is to get a panel that doesn't be able to overcharge that battery. relatively, if the panels max amperage is under 2% of the battery's amp hour skill, then that's attached continously with out inflicting any harm. on your case, one hundred twenty five AH X 2% = 2.5 amps. A 50 watt panel would be the optimal length you'll want for this. relatively of a charge controller, all that could be mandatory is a diode to maintain the battery from discharging by way of the panel at nighttime. maximum panels in the present day incorporate diodes already put in interior the junction container, yet while yours does not, they are in a position to be had at Radio Shack tremendously relatively. seek for a 6 amp silicone diode for roughly seventy 9 cents. That length panel would take 25 good hours of direct photograph voltaic to deliver your battery from 0.5 finished to finished regardless of the undeniable fact that, which would possibly no longer meet your needs. 25 hours of great photograph voltaic would take 5 days of tremendously dry climate. in case you like it to recharge swifter, you could circulate with extra photograph voltaic, yet you would be wanting the charge controller now to maintain from overcharging your battery. The 50 watt panel would value you $one hundred twenty five USD, a extra robust a hundred and twenty watt panel approximately two times that quantity, plus yet another $seventy 5 or so for a controller, something like a Morningstar 10 amp would artwork. The a hundred and twenty watt panel would produce as much as 7.5 amps in direct sunlight, which will deliver your battery from 0.5 to finished in one good sunny day. there's a great e book on the library i'd recommend examining, that's written by potential of Richard Perez, who additionally happens to be the founding editor of domicile capability magazine, the only periodical that truly gets into the nuts and bolts of renewable capability. i'd recommend ordering the magazine and sorting out the e book myself. We subscribed 13 years in the past, our house is presently powered by potential of the wind and sunlight. a great sort of the equipment we put in ourselves over the years, so I completely understand the way all of it operates, that's the place that magazine and another sources are becoming to be us. regardless of you do, remember to save that battery watered, a minimum of as quickly as a month in heat climate. Take care Q, Rudydoo

• A Guy
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Maybe a generator or microturbine. One might run off gasoline, diesel, natural gas, biogas, propane, etc. and could co-generate to give you hot water *with* the electricity.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Get an extension cord, and use the neighbour's electricity. Then it's free... to you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.