What would the word "Mara" symbolize in a dream?

I had this dream last night that I could go into further detail with, but I'm going to jump to the ending that has been puzzling me.

I was in my front yard with two of my old teachers and my mom was giving us games. She gave my two old teachers a game, but she gave me a black case for my ipod nano. I told her that this is just a case, not a game, and I need another one. She told me to just deal with it.

I then look over and there is a greenish-blackish chalkboard that I had written on. On the board, I wrote: "I love (with a heart shape) you Mara" and the next line down said "I've worked so hard but now I'm depressed", but I didn't write "depressed" instead a picture of a sad face with blue tears was shown. Next to the name Mara there was a face that would be similar to one on a totem pole. Whatever the totem pole represented, was where we were supposed to go next. Then I woke up.

I've been puzzled about "Mara" in particular after this dream, and after googling it there is a lot of folklore and religions that have representation of this as being a demon of dreams (though there are different variations of the word: mare, marah, etc.) and is the origin of the word "nightmare".

Has anybody had this come up in their dreams as well?

Does anybody have any idea as to what this could mean?

I know that I don't know of anybody named Mara. That is the first thing I thought of and I have never crossed paths with anyone with that name. This is why I am so puzzled because there is no connection to that name with anyone in my life. It seems to just be a symbol.

Favorite Answer

MEANINGS

~~~~~~~~

In Buddhism, Mara is equivalent to Satan. He is the demonic force who sent all his minions to tempt Buddha from the path of enlightenment.

In Hinduism... The deity of death and destruction, the opposite face of Kama, which is love.

In Anglo Saxxon... Derivative of the word Nightmare (as you said).

I was reminded of maya, which means illusion in esotericism (which really means inner reality, or the real reality), and fits to a cup of tee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The word totem is derived from the Ojibwe word odoodem, "his kinship group".

Totem poles may recount familiar legends, clan lineages, or notable events. Some poles celebrate cultural beliefs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DREAM

in my front yard = As it is outside your house (you), it may mean what is not inside you yet, maybe what you are considering or playing with. I guess it could also mean your public side.

with two of my old teachers = what they taught you or what they represent in you, which is learning.

and my mom was giving us games. = Either your mom or what she represents in you - your learning, guidance, values, etc.

She gave my two old teachers a game, = She gave you some kind of game of learning, that incorporated what those two teachers taught you. So think of their two subjects and relate what your mum, or if not, you, offered you to play or learn in a fun way.

... but she gave me a black case for my ipod nano. I told her that this is just a case, not a game, and I need another one. She told me to just deal with it.

= It sounds like she gave you the "shell" of the game, but you have to invent it. You have to learn. My best guess anyway.

I then look over and there is a greenish-blackish chalkboard that I had written on.

= Again, this equals your lessons. As a teacher uses. Thank God it's the normal colour, and not some wacky symbolic colour I have to interpret and go crazy with.

On the board, I wrote: "I love (with a heart shape) you Mara."

= No matter which interpretation of Mara you pick, there can be no doubt it is the worst thing in the universe. "I love you hate, illusion, destruction... the negative. Daymare." This can only mean it is all you know, at least in this instance. Or you are consumed by it, embraced by it.

and the next line down said, "I've worked so hard but now I'm depressed."

= Which confirms that.

Like many people in this modern world, they work their faces off, and have little love to show for it. Slave labour.

but I didn't write "depressed" instead a picture of a sad face with blue tears was shown.

= Almost like dreams use symbols, maybe the most powerful language. Does a picture say 1000 words? It impacts us much more.

Next to the name Mara there was a face that would be similar to one on a totem pole.

= Or is it because it's the only way to represent the totem? Or maybe just the face next to Mara was the totem. The meaning, that is, in your life that you should have next.

Whatever the totem pole represented, was where we were supposed to go next.

=

The Totem Pole is a fascinating thing, and even moreso in a dream.

I will stack my non-reputation on that it means the lineage of your consciousness, or journey, probably lessons or main points in your life.

As in your dream the next line down gave the next bit.

The main thing with it is the multi-levels. Just like consciousness and growth and learning is over time.

So that is why it pictured where you should go next.

Then you woke up to that message: Where to go next in life.

***************************

CONCLUSION:

The ultimate meaning of your totem is to gain meaning in your life.

_______________________________

Evidence that dreams know a meaning you don't consciously, as in Mara.

Mara/Mare is also another form of alp.

The alp is a demonic being which presses upon sleeping people so that they cannot utter a sound. These attacks are called Alpdrücke (nightmares).

If you haven't already made the connection; Mare - Night*mare*

To prevent these dreams, get a stone with a hole in the middle and hang it above your bed at night. It must be a natural hole or it won't work as well. These are called Odin stones and are found in rivers or stream beds.

I interpret this as a sign that you need to do something or go somewhere. The totem pole represents your destination and until get there, you will be haunted by "Mara" (Meaning you won't feel good about life, you'll have bad luck or something along those lines)

Source(s): Experience and Google...

I don't know if you're religious in the Abrahamic sense, but Mara means "bitter." Naomi, from the Old Testament commanded people to call her that after she suffered great loss. Maybe Mara is yourself, and since your mother appears to be withholding love or affection and showering it on those who test and judge you (teachers). Perhaps you have grown tired of this and feel weighed down, or are carrying heavy weight on your shoulders, as a figure on a totem pole would do. I would venture this is not only where you were supposed to go but where others are forcing you.

However, I advise you to think very hard about anyone you previously knew named Mara. Dreams are manifestations of the subconscious and googling folklore is only going to tell you things you didn't know when you're really looking for things you already knew.