Katherine asked in PetsHorses · 8 years ago

Is this too small for an indoor riding arena?

I am looking at purchasing a coverall arena. I found the following used arena. Would it be too small? It's just me and one other person at my farm using the arena. http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-business-i...

• Favorite Answer

Edited. Okay the link works now. Its looks a bit small and cramped, but if you wanted to practice jumping you might want to look for something bigger, but if you like it then that is all that matters.

It may look big-ish now, but when you get in there you'll really feel how small it is. I think this barn is being sold as more of a "barn" meaning for stalls and horse care, rather than riding.

It's do-able, anything really is for what you can afford, but I wouldn't recommend getting anything smaller than 75x100 especially if you're going to do some serious work, including jumping! The horses just don't have enough room to "stretch out".

That's not to say it isn't do-able! It's good that you don't have more than two people using this arena because you probably cannot fit any more riders! I'd recommend looking into something bigger if you do vigorous flatwork, training or especially jumping (I'd also suggest not putting more than one or two jumps in here as well).

If you think that your horses will be okay in this tight environment, then by all means go for it but make sure to exercise in a more open space once in a while, maybe in a field, outdoor ring, trail, or an empty paddock so your horse can stretch! In my opinion, I would get the biggest ring I could afford! Hope I could be of help!:)

It would be perfectly fine to ride in. The barn I was at with my horse at first had the same size. Comfortably we could fit 15 people at once, but with jumping, we could do 4 people. I use to do 3 jumps, 1 along each wall then 1 in the middle and it was perfect. You can't do too much. If you are in a climate where it's cold, it'll suck in the winter and really won't do any good except to protect from snow... Otherwise, I'd go for that size!

It would be pretty tight.

Not sure if the measurements are in feet or metres, I assume feet in which case the length would be 8 metres (22 feet) shorted than a standard dressage arena (20m x 40m) in length and 3m (11 feet) shorter width. Add the fact that there are two stalls would make it smaller.

• sazzy

It should be fine for riding in. You might find it's a bit tight to do lots of courses and jumping in, but for general riding and schooling it will last you. Definitely wouldn't want more than two in there at a time though.

• zakiit

Your link does not work, but I can tell you that the smallest arena that you could safely and comfortably have is 20 meters x 40 meters.

Source(s): Riding instructor

it really depends on how big of a horse you'll be riding in there, i would use that arena, im on a 13.1hh, any bigger, i probably wouldnt, also depends on what kind of work you'd be planning on doing in there, jumping, flatwork ect.. xx

you should be fine but it will be a little cramped just make sure your horse would be comfortable with all the jumps in it! but you should be ok for now!

Worked for me.

55x110 is an excellent size for a private indoor.

It's definitely quite snug in there but I think it's acceptable. I say you're fine but like... you just made it. Anyways good luck :)