Did you know that in 1798 “Congress passed — and President John Adams signed?

‘An Act for the Relief of Sick and Disabled Seamen.‘ The law authorized the creation of a government operated marine hospital and mandated that privately employed sailors be required to purchase health care insurance.”

To quote the site below: "Why did the founding fathers hate America, with their government takeover of health care for seamen? The founding fathers clearly didn’t understand what the founding fathers intended with the Constitution, what with that evil mandate. Perhaps the founders should have met with the founders to discuss the superior wisdom of Cleon Skousen and Ayn Rand. Maybe symbolically dangled some tea bags from their actual tri-cornered hats.

http://thehealthcaremaze.us/2011/01/22/john-adams-...

Update:

@ will anser for points: Not True...just like what happens so often, you actually think if you say it, it's true. Hey, we're on to you guys.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

ladies and gentlemen, that noise you are hearing are the sounds of a few dozen conservatives hyperventilating in a frothing indignity about the fact that the founding fathers were hardly the paragons of Tea Party values they claim they were. Heck, don't forget the treaty of tripoli, was signed by the same congress and establishes that America is NOT a Christian nation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

I'll be F5ing this in a bit to see all the Tea Tards squirming and spinning

• 8 years ago

I can't imagine seaman being too happy about being forced to comply. Going clear back to a remote law in 1798? Quite the stretch, there.

• 8 years ago

It's imperative that we care for our semen. Surely that concept isn't too hard to grasp.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Did you know that in 1799 this bill was thrown out?

Source(s): 7th grade social studies class
  • 8 years ago

Didn't know that. Interesting.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Thanks for the history lesson. If it's on Jeapardy tonite I can impress my kids.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.