Should I fill up my gas tank when the tank is half-empty?

Serious question: I'm trying to save the max amount I can on gas (aren't we all). I typically fill up once a week, regardless of how full the tank is. It's usually between a quarter and a half a tank when I fill up. Is this a mistake? Because I know a full tank adds weight to the car, and extra weight brings down gas mileage. But the other side of the coin is that if I wait a few more days to fill up, gas prices will likely be about 5 cents higher, anyway. I'm looking for serious answer: If I'm trying to save money, should I still fill up when the tank is half-full, or should I wait til it's closer to empty?

Good advice Mrs. Tech. I'm not a car expert by any means, but what you're saying makes sense. I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Best Answer

Sure you could save couple cents a week by driving with less weight...but then again, you can save yourself $800-1000 on the fuel pump. The most common premature failure of fuel pumps is refilling it on 1/3-1/4 a tank. The pump heats up during its' operation using fuel as its' coolant. So when you let the gas get low in the tank, the pump starts to overheat, causing premature wear of electrical components. You're not saving enough to notice by driving on lighter tank, so it's best you refill it at half tank instead of waiting for it to get lower.

Ps. During winter, try to keep your tank at full. It will prevent formation of extra moisture, which could give you starting problems and such.

Wait tell its closer to empty so you can get to a few more places and save money and when its almost empty fill up

It is like renewing your mortgage. Fixed or floating