Is Downtown Pittsburgh Dangerous?

I would like to go to a Pirates game this Spring. It is on a weeknight, and will probably end around 11-ish. The hotel I would like to stay at is a walk across the bridge and a few turns and you're there. About 15 minutes walking, 3 minutes driving according to Google Maps.

I'm a little concerned about how dangerous walking from North Shore across the bridge to Downtown to the Hotel? I've never been there, so i'm not sure how well lit it is and what the crimes like. From what I've seen it appears to be a clean city, at least during daylight hours.

I could just get a taxi or something, but I am on a tight budget. Is it worth the money to get a cab to my hotel just in case? I'd save at least ten minutes. I'm also not sure how much patrolling of the streets by the Police Department happens in Pittsburgh at night. If anyone's been to Pittsburgh, or from there at night, or has been in the same experience, please tell me how I should prepare for Downtown. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

I can assure you it will be perfectly safe and actually downtown Pittsburgh is cool at night! You'll get to see the reflections from all of the skyscrapers on the river -- really awesome right. I have walked from downtown to PNC Park many many times during night -- there will be tons of people out and about, especially on a warm summer or spring night, and if you're used to big cities, you'll have no worries at all. They completely close down the 6th St Bridge to vehicles, so it's very pedestrian friendly.

Or if you'd like, you can also use the subway (Red or Blue Line) for free! It goes right under the river to PNC Park -- just check Google Transit for the closest station to where your hotel is.

Enjoy your visit!

Source(s): Live in Pittsburgh.

I have been to downtown Pittsburgh many times and have never had a problem, just like New York in the 90's they did a lot of work to turn Pitt from a slum into a pretty damn nice city!!

• JJ

I haven't been there in 30 years but I can tell you that your best bet is to get a cab. First, it will be late, and you'll be tired. Plus, it's a special event, so you might as well spend another $10 or so to get a ride and end the evening safely.

• ?

Downtown Pittsburgh At Night

• tom c

No, it is safe to walk around. It is better to take taxi after 9pm

Only if you wear a Ravens jersey.