To Republicans/Conservatives: Why are you defending Zimmerman?

I both understand and agree with your criticism of the vile rhetoric of Leftist politicians, celebrities and organizations such as the Black Panthers as well as the irresponsible “reporting” of the mainstream media. Had you allowed your criticism to remain within those boundaries, I would be allied with you. But far too many of you have gone as far as passionately and blindly defending the actions of Zimmerman which requires that you feign ignorance of the facts before you. What is worse, you have decided to engage in a campaign of character assassination of the victim, Treyvon Martin. Please help me to understand your rationale?

Update:

Big K, that was brilliantly stated and intellectually honest. Thank you.

Chetak, while I appreciate your remarks, please note that I wholly reject the “innocence until proven guilty” excuse. This is nothing more than a legal standard which serves as a caveat to potential jurors. Legal (de jure) guilt/innocence is not the same as factual (de facto) guilt/innocence. The former can turn (regardless of the facts) on legal and/or procedural issues in addition to the persuasive power of courtroom theatrics. The later however is the realm of you and I. This is where rational, intelligent beings formulate objective assessments based on the facts before them. I did not need a jury to tell me that bin Laden was a mass murder and a threat to humanity. Common sense (not Common Law) is the only standard applicable to you and I. But it begs the question: if Zimmerman must be presumed innocent, why must Martin be presumed guilty?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The rational is simple "innocent until proven guilty"

Although the Constitution of the United States does not cite it explicitly, presumption of innocence is widely held to follow from the 5th, 6th, and 14th amendments. See also Coffin v. United States and In re Winship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presumption_of_innoce...

• Login to reply the answers
  • Mc Fly
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Why anyone would defend zimmerman is a mystery. Facts, he was told to stay away from Martin, but he kept pursuing him. Martin tried to walk away, but zimmerman continued to follow. zimmerman confronted Martin who really was doing nothing wrong. (wheather or not he smokes pot has absolutely no bearing) and zimmerman did not look like he had been in a fight from the latest video ive seen. Anyone who has ever had their nose broken will tell you that it bleeds alot and I didnt see a drop of blood on zimmermans shirt. This was a terrible incident and I have always said that zimmerman should be in jail.

• 8 years ago

You're only partially correct. Very few "passionately" defend Zimmerman, and inferring ignorance only shows your own intolerance.

What do you expect? The left, the Democrats and Liberals, have demonized Zimmerman, they have dishonestly used the classic race card in calling him "white", deceitfully used a very old washed out photo of Zimmerman as well as one of a very outdated one of Martin to solicit pity for him and rage for Zimmerman.

The left has publicly called this a hate crime perpetuated by a racist. Lied about the neighborhood they were in. The Democrat party criticized Zimmerman as having a long list of run ins with the law including a traffic ticket (horrors!), yet conveniently neglect that the "role model" and "model student" had been kicked out for vandalism, drugs and possession of burglar tools along with "several women's rings".

Once again, the left initially labeled Zimmerman as a conservative when in fact he is a Democrat.

In never letting a good crisis go to waste, the left again uses fear-mongering lies to call for yet more unnecessary gun laws restricting constitutional rights.

While the right is waiting for a much needed investigation (of the previous investigation) and in general waiting for the facts, the left is actively engaged in character assassination and soliciting Zimmermans lynching.

Like the twit decrying how bad Rush was, and griping about his medical addiction (discovered illegally by a Liberal prosecutor breaking the law), left winger hypocrites ignore the Liberal Democrats who do not only the same, but worse.

Hateful Democrats have set the bar, they've established the tone of partisanship. Now live with the beast you've created.

• 8 years ago

THIS IS NOT POLITICAL A young man's life was taken and another man is in fear for his life and we don't even know all the facts. Why try to make it a political issue?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

I think it is because they saw Martin portrayed as a small black kid who could not possibly have done wrong. When facts began to come out about Martin, that were at odds with that account, those facts were met with spokespeople screaming racism. If what was said about Martin is true, and if that "demonizes" him, then there is a problem with Martin, not the messengers.

• Big K
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Most conservatives support Zimmerman for the same reason blacks support Trayvon, they identify with his version of the story whether fact or fiction. African Americans worry about the threat of racial profiling, most have never actually experienced it, but it's definitely out there and when cases like this come up they feel the need to stand up for their rights so they won't ever have to deal with what they believe happened to Trayvon.

Many middle class white people these days similarly fear being victimized by crime or demonized by the media as racists, they see George Zimmerman as the victim of a media sensation, a man who defended himself and who was targeted by the media because he dared to stand against crime. Middle class whites fear their right to self defense will be taken away and they will become increasingly victimized by crime. White Americans have also grown tired of charges of racism, often the media uses allegations of racism to strike at political opponents, and black criminals throw around the race card so much that it's lost all meaning. Because of this claiming that Trayvon was discriminated against because of his race actually increases Zimmerman's credibility, white people who are tired of being called racist believe Zimmerman to be in the same boat, regardless of whether or not it's true.

• J.T.
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

There is a knee-jerk, tribal response to defend the acts of a person of European ancestry no matter how the facts have to be bent or ignored.... They defended Rush the same way when he spewed vile rhetoric against Sandra Fluke... The also defended him when he, as an admitted Oxycontin addict, broke the law.... Republicans and Conservatives are hollow - Fox gives them purpose....

• James
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Why are you all that defend Trayvon Martin blind to the following evidence.

- Trayvon Martin was seen on top of George Zimmerman by witnesses.

- Trayvon Martin was suspended from his school for possession of a bag with residual marijuana in it.

- Trayvon Martin was lurking around a neighborhood late in the night.

- George Zimmerman was found at the scene with a broken nose and multiple lacerations to the back of his head which is consistent with his account of what happened as well as witnesses backing this up.

- George Zimmerman was recommended by the Seminole County Fire Department to go to the hospital and instead signed a waiver saying he didn't want to which shows that medical professionals thought the injuries to be somewhat serious.

- George Zimmerman can be heard yelling "help" on the recorded 911 call (this call is public record, in order to obtain a copy you can contact the Seminole County Sheriff's Office since they operate the dispatch center for most agencies in Seminole County including Sanford Police Department)

- The police investigation had not revealed enough evidence for the State Prosecutor to feel safe about pursuing charges against Zimmerman.

Think about this all in context and it does not look good for Trayvon Martin at all.

• 8 years ago

but.. the black guy is always the bad guy. Tayvon was evil! he just had to be! There must be some way he can still be evil.

• 8 years ago

Because they're racists, that's all they ever are.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.