Laptop charger not charging battery?

I have an acer aspire laptop running windows vista. (Not sure about details beyond that). The laptop charger seems to have stopped giving power to the laptop whatsoever. It won't charge it at all, or give it power without charging. The charger seems to have just stopped working. I have to twist the part that plugs into the computer and find a sweet spot to get it to charge.

Now, I heard that this could be that I need a new battery. Or do I need a new charger?

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Sounds like your power power jack might be loosen.

Make sure your laptop power jack and charger plug tip are securely connected. If power jack is loose you can find laptop power jack on ebay. However, fixing and soldering the power jack requires professional skill.

Also you can try remove the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord from Acer Aspire your laptop, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to discharge any residual current inside the laptop. This clears your RAM and is like a hardware reset. Replace the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord and turn your laptop on.

--Always, the green/blue LED on charger needs to be constantly on. If not, replace the defective charger. Since battery/ ac adapter has its own lifespan and does not last forever, to help you save up some, you can consider getting a Acer Aspire charger under lifetime warranty from store like topmic.com

Wish the Best.

1

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago with my own laptop. I can't tell you what the problem is for sure because I don't have the same as you, but I ordered a new charger and the problem was completely solved. I'd try that first before anything else.

if your battery was faulty then the power supply would work if you pulled the battery out. it is most common for the power supply to go bad. You may want to use a volt meter to see if your power supply is bad. I would most likely bet it is.

Sometimes the power supply brick is covered up by accident and the excess heat leads to an early demise. Go online (ebay or craigslist) see if you can pick one up. the universal ones do not tend to last too long.

cheers and good luck.

I think your laptop charger is broken, you need buy a new one, if you are not sure you can take it to the acer after-sales department or laptop repair shop to check, buy a new acer laptop charger, you can visit the following links:

http://www.battery-chargers.org/battery-chargers/a...

http://www.laptopbatteryinc.com/laptop-ac-adapter/...

good luck to you

It is probably just the power supply - search online for a replacement for your model laptop.

They can be a bit pricey - around 60-70 bucks usually.

Probably you will need a new charger.. Take a look at the charger, how it looks? is it damaged?

• Most like it is the charging port on the laptop. Have a technician look at it.

~