Dan Arnold asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

how to convert normal wood to driftwood?

i want to add a driftwood to my aquarium. but i dont have any lake nearby and the ones sold at stores are way too costly in my locality! so i thought of converting normal wood to driftwood. tell me how to and also any links which show how to? i tried out youtube videos but i didnt find the full info. if there are different methods, plz let me know all of those plz... thank you! ten points for best answer gauranteed!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Answer

I generally agree with Pytr, but if you don't have the money, you are most likely going to try to find a way to get driftwood without buying it anyways, so let me give you a few safety tips. (Warning: This may become long-winded...lol)

Also, the only reason I know this process works is because one of my plecos refused all of the driftwood PetSmart had and so I tried this, and she loves it now. I switch her wood out frequently, but getting started was a long process. Now, it's simple, because I always have 6 logs or so ready to go, and ready with algae. ;) But please safe and use common sense, in addition to these instructions. ;) Fish are sensitive to water changes and a lot of wood causes water changes.

It would help to know what fish you are trying to do this for, because some fish are too sensitive to try this, such as otos, but other fish, such as Plecos, are hardier.

If you ever chose to put something you got outside in your aquarium, sanitizing it is a must, and it's probably safe to not put in your aquarium for several weeks (depending on the size, etc).

Driftwood is simply dead wood, with no living elements it it anymore, thus taking a branch from a tree is not recommended. As a result, most woods you find are contaminated with something (bugs, parasites, dog piss, kid's spit, etc) When you go hunting for driftwood, try to get at least six different types, because throughout this process, you'll quickly find out some won't work. ;)

Never use pine tree branches, as they will pollute your aquarium. Research the type of wood you find, because I only know of pine trees that are dangerous, but I also know there are other types that would be too risky to use.

When you find the wood you want, heat your oven to about 250, and heat the selected woods on an aluminum covered pan for about 4-6 hours. The heat will kill off any bacteria or parasites that are on it, but may cost you a fine dime in electricity. lol

Afterwards, low-boil it in salt water to clean off anything the heating might have missed. This process depends kind of common sense. Boil, rinse out the water, repeat until the water is clear, or at least no longer brown. This process helps kill off anything you might have missed in the oven, but also helps the stick sink, depending on the type of wood you found. Again, this step depends on the type of fish you have, because you'll be using salt and there may be trace amounts of salt. So, make sure the fish you have, all of these steps are safe for them to handle before you place the wood in the aquarium.

The final and most time-consuming step is to find a 1 or 2 gallon tank or bowl, something clear, set it up with a small amount of gravel and soak the wood in tank water (do your regular tank water change and use that water). I'd recommend using a different container for each different pieces, as it will make things easier on you.

Any wood that won't stop 'bleeding' (turning the water any discoloration, such as brown or black) needs to soaked until the water stops turning colors. Every time you do a tank water change, change out the water in that woods' container. Or you could just throw it away and call it a lost cause. lol This is why I said to try to pick several out, because guaranteed some of the wood will not work. This soaking process takes a minimum of 2 weeks if you don't have bleeding wood, sometimes a couple months if you have bleeding wood.

After all this is said, it really is simpler to try to save up 15 bucks for a driftwood log. lol But if you're determined to try to save 15 bucks, here ya go.

Source(s): Owner of 2 Plecos

1

Source(s): How to Work Wood http://givitry.info/WoodworkingProjects

I have to agree with Pytr. Most wood you find is going to rot very quickly in an aquarium. You can only use certain types of wood for an aquarium, you can't just go out and find a stick and use it in your tank (it won't work).

I suggest you save your money up and then go to the pet store and buy driftwood. It's safer, easier, and won't rot/foul your water. Cleaning safe wood for an aquarium is seriously a pain in the butt. Then you have to mount it which is also a pain. I've done this before and there's a reason it's so expensive at the store. Like I said you're better off getting it from the store.

:]

Driftwood In Aquariums

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

i want to add a driftwood to my aquarium. but i dont have any lake nearby and the ones sold at stores are way too costly in my locality! so i thought of converting normal wood to driftwood. tell me how to and also any links which show how to? i tried out youtube videos but i didnt find the full...

Source(s): convert normal wood driftwood: https://shortly.im/Rfm3Z

most woods are not safe, or desirable in the aquarium. Only a few kinds don't rot and foul the tank.

There are methods to disinfect wood, but it won't do anything to keep most wood from rotting and some woods will leach toxins. Stick to the few types of hardwood which is commonly used in aquariums.

I live near lake superior and there is tons of this washed up all around the lake. It takes: water, waves, sunlight. I'm not sure how long you'll need to create your own. I would say weeks. Driftwood is eroded smooth by constant waves and turned gray by the sunlight.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/xjXYe

there is a method we use in bonsai called jinning and sharis making basically a jin is a spot where a branch protrudes from the trunk you scrape the bark andcrunch up the end of the branch shari or sharis you follow the contour of the trunk from top to bottom and remove a strip of bark then on either surface you paint on lime sulphur to bleach the wood it smells so do it outside less is more have a good look at the tree or log before you start to hack into it

What Is Driftwood

• Matt

Best way I've done it is soak it in a strong solution of ammonia for a week. Start with dry wood so the ammonia solution soaks right in. Then rinse it and give it a good scrub with a stiff bristled brush to remove dirt & loose or rotting wood. Rinse again then soak for another week, changing the water a few times. Finally, add some biostarter to remove any remaining ammonia.

I've done this many times. Its safe, disinfects the timber so its safe for your fish, & bleaches the wood slightly so it doesnt stain the water like untreated timber does.

Hope this helps, good luck :D

Source(s): I've been keeping cichlids & catfish for nearly 2 decades