Mini FREEZER shipped UPSIDE DOWN?

My mini freezer was shipped completely upside down. Is this even worse than being shipped on it's side? I can't find any information on the internet, everything I find talks about the freezer being shipped on it's side.

Please tell me what I should know/expect/do.

I let it sit upright for 24 hours then after my bf put it in place I plugged it in.. but then I got scared and unplugged it right away. So it's just sitting right now because I'm pissed that something might go wrong.

• Sean
    Favorite Answer

The reason your not suppose to tip a freezer or fridge on its side or upside down is because the compressor has oil in it for lubrication. The idea is that on it's side or upside down the oil will drain out of the compressor and into other areas of the sealed piping system. Running the compressor with a lack of oil lubrication will cause overheating in the compressor which may cause internal damage. You've left the freezer upright for longer than needed for the oil to drain back into the compressor, you should be fine.

What you need to do is run the crap out of it, if it's going to fail then it's better to have it do so sooner than later in this case. That way you can have it fixed or exchanged on the warranty. I would call the company you purchased it from and notify them as well to at least get it documented that you recieved it upside down. If it fails in a month and you wait to report it then they could give you a hard time about it.

Erin! Once you found your mini freezer was shipped upside down you should have called the restaurant supply store where you bought the freezer for resolving this trouble. It is not too late now, ask help or trouble shooting tips from the restaurant supply store and wait until their service person will come and see the issue. In general, you should allow all refrigeration equipment to rest before starting. This allows the oils and refrigerants to return to the proper place before the cooling begins.

Once a freezer sits upright for at least 12 hours, it should be okay to plug in.

The freezer's lubrication and refrigerant systems are sealed, so nothing will leak out.

Source(s): Experience

Ronald Green is correct. Make sure you have the control turned to off before you plug it back in. Then turn it on. Your freezer is probably just fine.

How do you know it was shipped upside-down? From where? What is the worst thing that could happen, it won't work? It's warranted, you can return it. it will not blow up, catch fire or melt. I'm really curious about what exactly you "got scared" about?

I would go ahead and plug it in. You need to know if it is going to work so you can decide if it needs to go back, and this will be the best test.