Liz asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 years ago

How can i convince my parents to let me join the Air Force?

I'm a senior in high school right now and i'm planning on going to college next year. I would like to join the Air Force but i'm not just going to enlist, i want to do the AFROTC program while i get my degree. If i do this program then the first year there's no commitment but if i continue into my sophomore year i am committing to four years in the Air Force. Logically I think it's a good idea because it's a great way to get my college payed for and on top of that i love the idea of being in the Air Force, i love all the opportunities i would get, all the experiences i would have in it, and i would love to serve my country. I have nothing but for respect for everyone i meet that has been or is in any branch of the military. So here comes my problem. My parents are pretty strict and except for distant relatives we haven't had anyone in our family in any branch of the military. I say that because i know a lot of people join because they're parents or siblings did. Anyway i'm afraid that the second i go in and talk to my parents about doing AFROTC they're just going to get really pissed off and not even listen to anything i have to say. I have a lot of reasons why it's a good idea i.e. get my college payed for, really good job security, option of getting a masters or even graduate degree after my bachelors, and when i'm serving my four years after school, i would be living on an Air Force base which comes with a whole load of benefits, free/discounted health, and dental care, discounted life insurance, free housing with an incredible monthly allowance for food, and great salaries, especially because i will graduate as an officer. Anyway i have all these great reasons i just wonder if anyone has any advice on how to approach this, i could make a power point, or just go in and talk to them or a lot of different things but i think the first ten words are pretty important because that's all it takes to close my parents minds, and once there's closed there's no convincing them. Also if you yourself are a parent and have arguments against what i want to do i would love to hear them so that i may be able to prepare a counter. Thank You!

I am 17, a senior in high school, and even if i don't need their permission by the time i would be signing on i would like it. Besides that they have this thing where they like to threaten taking away my college fund, which would be a problem because yes the AFROTC would pay for most of it but i would need my fund to cover other costs.

• Tom
    Favorite Answer

A good start would be to have better understanding of Afrotc and Air Force Officer opportunities, benefits etc

1)Only about 5% of Afrotc Scholarships pay tuition without limit. Another 20% pay up to around $18,000 per year. The rest pay less than $10,000 per year. Scholarship Cadets and Contracted Non Scholarship Cadets(junior and senior year) are paid a tax free stipend of a few hundred dollars per month. University financial aid offers offset other financial aid awards that would have been offered with Afrotc Scholarship money.

2)Afrotc does not pay for room and board. Certain usually private universities will pay the full or partial room and board of Afrotc Scholarship Cadets.

http://www.afrotc.com/scholarships/high-school/sub...

3)Less than half of Afrotc Scholarship Cadets commission with an Afrotc Scholarship.

4)Almost all Afrotc high school scholarships are awarded in Engineering and other technical majors. Certain critical foreign languages are considered technical majors.

http://afrotc.com/scholarships/high-school/schools...

In recent years it has become difficult for Cadets in non technical majors to earn an Enrollment Allocation for the POC.

Nrotc Navy Option Scholarships are also mostly awarded in technical majors. College students with up to 30 semester units can apply for Nrotc high school scholarships. Nrotc Marine Option Scholarships are not awarded according to major. Army Rotc Scholarships are not awarded according to major and most Army Rotc Scholarships are awarded to college students rather than high school students. While Afrotc and Nrotc are commissioning programs for active duty Air Force, Navy and Marine Officers, Army Rotc also commissions Army Reserve Officers and Army National Guard Officers. Army Rotc Cadets must compete for an active duty slot. Competition depends on the OML(National Order of Merit list) that ranks all Rotc Cadets nationally. Ranking on the OML also determines chances to get the Branch(job) of one's preference.

http://www.career-satisfaction.army.mil/pdfs/Order...

Afrotc and Nrotc also have National Order of Merit lists that rank all Afrotc Cadets and Nrotc Mids based on their own criteria.

5) Afrotc Cadets, Scholarship and Non Scholarship must compete for a Field Training slot and an Enrollment Allocation for the POC(Professional Officer's Course) during the winter of Sophomore year. In 2011, 45% of Afrotc Cadets were awarded Field Training slots. It is supposed to be around 65% this year.

6) The deadline for high school seniors to apply for an Afrotc high school scholarship for the Fall of 2012 was November 30, 2011. College students may not apply for the 4 year Afrotc scholarships.

7) Afrotc removed all information on the In College Scholarships from the Afrotc website during the Spring of 2011, stating the In College Scholarship Program was under revision and new information would be posted by the Fall of 2011. As of the moment, there is still nothing posted regarding in college Afrotc Scholarships.

8) Most Officers do not live on base. They live off base for which they receive a tax free housing allowance known as BAH. BAH varies widely with location.

9) Officers do not receive an incredible monthly food allowance, they receive BAS.

BAH and BAS can be determined at the following link. Enter location from the drop down menu for the correct BAH for the location to appear. O-1 to O-2 in 24 months. O-2 to O-3 in another 24 months.

O-1 = 2nd Lieutenant

O-2 = 1st Lieutenant

O-3 = Captain

http://militarypay.defense.gov/mpcalcs/Calculators...

10) Air Force Officer AFSC(Jobs)

http://www.airforce.com/careers/#college-graduate

Good description of Afrotc:

http://airforcerotc.berkeley.edu/_afrotc-program.h...

Helpful to read all Faq under each tab, Scholarships, College Life etc:

http://afrotc.com/help-center/faqs/

Informative:

http://www.afrotc.ku.edu/Recruiting_Presentation_2...

Competing for an Enrollment Allocation for the POC, scroll down to "Getting Started- Getting Into the POC:

http://www.wantscheck.com/PilotSlotResources/ROTCP...

Good Luck!

Even if they are pissed off and against the military if they love you they will come around. Be sure to mention all the benefits and the job you want in the AF. Knowing your goals in the AF will help a lot. In the end there is no convincing your parents to let you join, you're 18 do what you want.

EDIT-Sit down and talk about it. I was nervous about talking to my parents to but it will be fine. Eventually they will come around. Also even if they do take away your fund so what? Get a job like most people. My parents didn't help me with college. I paid for my phone, car, insurance, college with no family or miltary help and I have no debt. Lucky for you the ROTC will pay most of it so just get a job and a lot of colleges offer payment plans. Don't use the college fund as an excuse. Even if you do come out with a little debt joining the AF you get free food/housing so paying off the debt shouldn't take much time. Also look into things such as pell grant, scholarships(if your good enough for ROTC sure enough you qualify for other scholarships), work at the college, lottery scholarship.

• Diana

After you complete your training you will almost immediately be considered a responsible professional. Nowhere else can you get that kind of credibility. Joining the service is a guaranteed job with great benifits, of which I am sure you are already aware. Yes, there is risk, but it is for the defense of freedom that you put your name, and possibly your life on the line. Whether you sign now, or when you turn 18, remember that your oath is to protect and defend the Constitution, not blindly serve people in power who would just as soon spit on it. You won't be allowed to speak critically on politics, but your actions will speak louder than words if you should ever be faced with an unlawful order. The Core Values are "Integrity First, Service Before Self, and Excellence in all we do." The Honor Code is "I will not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate anyone among us who does." By joining, you will embody those values and the honor code in your day to day living and service. What other profession would hold you to this high of a standard and expect only the best from you while entrusting you with the greatest of responsibilities at this young an age? If you ever leave the service, you will have an edge over the rest of the job seekers because of your maturity, level of responsibility, and dedication to achieving greatness. When you raise your hand to serve- whether as enlisted or as an officer, you join a large family of people who share the bond of that oath. You will see in-fighting and back-stabbing, and people break their oaths, but people are people no matter where you go; just remember good will triumph in the end and stand your ground to do what is right. Keep in mind that the oath you take will never expire- even should your term of service end. So, I thank you for your committment, and salute you. Good luck, and God bless! edit: As always, seek the counsel of wise NCOs. Matthew raises a good point! Ask your father why he is opposed to your decision, and if you can, reason with him. If he's a radical leftist, there will be no convincing him that your service is a good thing, but hopefully you can convince him to be proud of your committment to the honor code and in attempting to do something great. Again, good luck!

You don't need their permission - by the time you commit, you will be a legal adult. So, what you really want is their blessing, which you may not receive.

The best way to start depends on what your parents motivators and pain points are. If college costs have them worried, perhaps start with "wouldn't it be great if I could attend college , and not graduate with thousands in student loans?"

You can anticipate questions your parents may have, and be prepared with an answer to all of them.

Also, ask your recruiter for assistance. They are experienced in dealing with all types of parents.

If you listed your age I apologize in advance.

You can make your choice without their consent when you are 18. I did the same against my parents wishes, but they had no say in the matter. After serving I earned my bachelors and Masters degrees with the assistance of the GI Bill.

Joining the military is not for everyone, but it was one of the best decisions I made. Good luck.

At your age you should be able to hold an adult converation with them to show you have the desire to join, and your plan for the future in the Airforce, and be adult enough to listen to the reasons they may not want you to join up.

Finally, that's what I was searching for! Thanks to author of this question.