Leve asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

Teaching a cat to sleep at night?

My cat sleeps all day and becomes active when I go to bed. Is there a way to teach her to sleep at night instead of day time? I want her to sleep at night because I feel that she gets bored with no one around when shes awake.

Favorite Answer

My cats sleep at night! I think this is because they get plenty of "play time" during the day. If you're gone most of the day, you need to make time to play A LOT with her when you ARE at home. If this means playing 'fetch" with her while you watch tv, or get a "feather-on-a-pole" and swish that around for her......anything to keep her active......then you'll have to do it.

Or, you could get her a playmate, who'd keep her busy while you're away. This would make her more tired in the evening!!

Getting her tired in the hours before YOU go to bed, and giving her some meat in the evening, will insure that she sleeps ...... at least for the first few hours of the night. It may take a few weeks of "retraining" ( you & her ) to get her to sleep most of the night, but it can be done.

I've noticed that my cats get up a few times during the night to eat ( dry "nibbles" ), but go back to sleep.......no playing, running, howling, etc.......during the night.

Hope this helps........Good luck.....

Source(s): 50+yrs cats ( 10 indoor, spayed & neutered ) / "issues"

Teaching a cat to sleep at night?

• LC

Cats are nocturnal, that means that it is normal for them to sleep during the day and be active at night. I have two cats and they both cat nap during the day as well as play and sit and look out the window. They both play at night too. Are you home all day long with your kitty, I ask because you may not know if she is actually sleeping all day. You could try getting her some toys and playing with her when your at home then at night when it's time for you to go to bed pick her up and put her on the bed with you, she might want to go to sleep, but don't be supprized if she just wants to be along and awake.

• Beth F

Cats are nocturnal and need A LOT of sleep. Some sleep up to 18 hrs a day. Your cat will learn when you are around to play with and sill adjust to you schedule on his own. You can't train a nocturnal animal to be diurnal. But with time you and your cat will form a bond and have plenty of time to spend together. You will learn to respect him when he sleeps and he will do the same for you.

cats like to be active at night and sleep more during the day. Get her some catnip toys to play with. That will tire her out and maybe she will then cuddle up with you. As cats get older they sleep lots day and night.

well it's normal for a cat to sleep all day and stay up all night.specially if there not kittens.and your cat will be fine on its on at night

• Yami

Cats are noctunal creatures, that means they can see better at night, therefore they sleep during the day and roam around all night. You cannot change their nature cycles!

• Mushu

Cats are nocturnal creatures, meaning they are active at night. It's in their nature.

you could try getting her a cats bed, and turning the lights out and pulling the curtains. my cats always fell asleep faster when it was very dark.

She probably likes being alone and wants to enjoy the quiet while you are asleep.

Source(s): I have 2 cats