Why do atheists have such a big problem with creationists denying evolution?

Evolution is very practical, and there's a lot of solid science to support it. I think. That's what I've been told; it's what I've read. I'm not in that particular field of study, so I can only either choose to research it heavily or just make casual decisions based the little bit that I... show more Evolution is very practical, and there's a lot of solid science to support it.
I think. That's what I've been told; it's what I've read.
I'm not in that particular field of study, so I can only either choose to research it heavily or just make casual decisions based the little bit that I do know.
Unfortunately, there are creationists who use science and faith to work against the concept of evolution. And unfortunately for evolutionists, they utilize a faith that I follow and know a lot about, which means that I am initially and automatically going to favor the creationist ideas. They are in line with the little bit that I do know- the faith bit.
I don't know about their scientific work, but I do know that it implies mixed views on the subject.

If there are mixed views on a subject that doesn't affect my life and is also a subject that I am not actively studying, why does anybody care which side I choose? I am choosing one that I seem to understand better.
There is no science test here. There is no need for me to apply my skills and business to the understanding of evolution.
There is no reason anybody should care whether I or any other Christian should accept evolution or creationism. And since I believe in the Bible anyway, isn't it more practical and appropriate for somebody of my lifestyle to follow intelligent design? I think so.

So, if not to simply attack my faith, why are atheists so forceful in their assault on my acceptance of this concept that, aside from these R&S debates, has no effect whatsoever on my life and lifestyle?

If you believe it is about attacking my faith and not promoting science, please let me know.

thx!
Update: But you do understand that when you say "infiltrate schools with their stupid," you are bullying the other side by merely claiming to have superior science. Evolution has lots of evidence, but if enough people think that there isn't enough evidence, and enough people do, then you are backing... show more But you do understand that when you say "infiltrate schools with their stupid," you are bullying the other side by merely claiming to have superior science.

Evolution has lots of evidence, but if enough people think that there isn't enough evidence, and enough people do, then you are backing yourself into a wall by insulting the intelligence of everybody except those who accept your theory. And again, your theory has a lot of backing, but if it isn't enough for everybody, then it isn't enough for everybody, right?
Maybe I'm "ignorant" to it, but I'm not ignorant to the social climate surrounding the topic. I think it's still far too controversial for people to go calling other people stupid.