If someone found my lost debit card could they use it somehow?

My husband accidentily left my debit card in the atm drive thru machine! The card has my father's name on it though and the only thing you can do w/ it is withdraw cash from the atm machine. Which obviously requires PIN.

If someone happened to KEEP it rather than turn it in, is there anything they can do with it? Specifically take money out.

Favorite Answer

If a card is left in the atm ....some atms will pull the card back inside the machine if not used within a certain time...so go back to bank they might have it.

If someone did get it they would need your PIN # to use it.

Source(s): I did the same thing.

Are you sure it's a PIN only card, with no Visa or MC logo on it?

Then no one can use it without that PIN number.

Note: Debit cards without the VISA or MC logo are very rare these days.

Try to remember to the best of your knowledge.

If it has that logo on it, it can be used anywhere for anything.

Your dad's account would be wiped out by now.

Note: Someone is likely to turn that card into the bank (a good samaritan).

The bank is likely to mail the card to the original bank as a courtesy. Yes, they do this.

They will call your dad.

Your dad will call you asking: Why the ___ didn't you tell me that card was lost.

I had to jump through hoops to get a debit card without a Visa or MC logo on it.

I had been a member of that bank for 15 years and I still had trouble.

Again. It's EXTREMELY rare not to thave the logo on a DEBIT card.

If your hubby left it at the ATM machine, after maybe 2min, the machine would actually suck the card back in and keep it. You would have to go retrieve it from the bank.

I have hard time believing your hubby would swipe the card then leave it sitting at the machine. That is just weird, so I am assuming he left it IN the machine and didn't pull it back out. In that case, the machine eats it back in.

Now, if someone did find it, and it has a MC/Visa logo they could go shopping with it. They would need the PIN in order to withdraw cash though.

You should immediately call the bank and tell them you lost the card. They will shut off the card, change your bank account number and give you a new card. Stop reading this and go do that now. I'll wait...

It is imperative you do this NOW, or as soon as possible. I'm not kidding. Stop reading and go call the bank.

Ok, all done? Good.

YES someone COULD use that card to access your account and your money. Unlike a credit card, you will be responsible for the charges until you declare the card missing! Worse still, any money that you do lose but can be replaced will take months to process by the bank! (after all, it's not their money like a credit card...)

If the only thing it can do is take money out of an ATM and not be used as a credit card (requires no pin) Then your safe but you might want to call the bank and tell them to cancel the card anyway and get a new one

Others have given you good advice. I just wonder why your husband is using a debit card in your father's name? Seems rather strange that a married couple would not have their own bank account and cards.

Source(s): BD

pin card visa mc logo pin number note debit cards visa mc logo rare days remember knowledge logo dadaccount wiped note turn card bank good samaritan bank mail card original bank courtesy call dad dad call ___ card lost jump hoops debit card visa mc logo member bank 15 years trouble extremely rare thave logo debit card

buying food from ast food restaurants such as mc donalds and taco bell does not require a pin, so yes, they can use the card somehow. so i suggest you call the bank so they can send you a new debit card with a different card number and close and stop all transaction from your old debit card.

Someone could very easily use it on the internet to buy stuff

But that can be traced if its major fraud

However, call and cancel it immediately :)

It's doubtful, but people do it. Call and cancel it immediately. I really don't know how someone would do it without knowing the pin, but I do know people do it.