job from craglist kinda feel real and kind of no. what do think. please help me.?

somebody email me craglist and told me he wants me to drive his grandmother to places. he got my name and address and BD for information. he didnt give me any information about his self or his grandmother. after few days he told me his going to send me check for working. he sent me $2,850 check and told me (

I will want you to have the payment DEPOSIT at your bank and have the excess funds withdrawn as soon as you have the funds in your account,the funds would be available to you after 24hrs deposit in your account, you deduct your pay which is $330 and also $70 for gas for the first week,will want you to have the EXCESS funds wired to the shipping agent info below via WESTERN UNION so that the car could be delivered to you asap and you could begin the execution of your duty immediately..and as soon as you have done this i will want you to get back to me with every WESTERN UNION transfer details....MTCN....SENDERS NAME AND ADDRESS...AMOUNT SENT....So i can forward all details to the shipping agent so that the funds can be picked up and they could begin the shipping process asap..

This is the shipping agent info below you will be wiring the funds to VIA WESTERN UNION ...

NAME:MOISES RODRIGUEZ

ADDRESS:2117 SPAULDING AVE

CITY:CHICAGO

STATE:IL

ZIP CODE:60647

Get back asap with all WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER info asap so that the funds can be picked up and he agent can have the car delivered to you so you could begin your duty asap...will be looking forward to

hear from you and do have a pleasant day ahead.....Stay blessed)

so do you think is it real or fake? his address on post is from chicago and check is from university of denver from clorado and i live at california. whenever i asked him for information he wont answer me and telling me i will get it latter. what are you guys think?

Favorite Answer

100% scam.

There is no job.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money and time.

The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be the "secretary/assitant/accountant" and will demand you cash a large fake check sent on a stolen UPS/FedEx billing account number and send the "shipping expense" money, in cash, via Western Union or moneygram back to the scammer. When your bank realizes the check is fake, it bounces and you get the real life job of paying back the bank for the bounced check fees and all the bank's cash you sent to the overseas scammer.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

6 "Rules to follow" to avoid most fake jobs:

1) Job asks you to use your personal bank account and/or open a new one.

2) Job asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order.

3) Job asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.

4) Job asks you to accept packages and re-ship them on to anyone.

5) Job asks you to pay visas, travel fees via Western Union or moneygram.

6) Job asks you to sign up for a credit reporting or identity verification site.

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.

If you google "fake check cashing scam", "money order fraud Western Union", "fake driving job" or something similar, you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near-victims of this type of scam.

100% SCAM

This is called money laundering which is a felony that will land you in prison for up to ten years

Turn the check, original envelope and copies of all emails over to your local police and do not respond to these criminals. If they threaten you, inform the police

ONLY a scammer would ever ask you to send money through Western Union. And NOBODY would ever trust a complete stranger they have never even met in person to drive a family member

Cut off contact with these criminals and contact the police. You are being used to launder criminal funds through your personal bank account then "clean" it through Western Union.

Something smells really fishy. They might be trying to launder dirty money. If you've given them too much personal information call your bank and open a new account. The university part is throwing me off too but they might be trying to make it sound innocent. But don't give them any information, and flag it on craigslist so no one else will do it either.