Why do we have freedom of speech?

Why do we have freedom of speech? What is the goal of freedom of speech? How is freedom of speech limited, or how should it be limited?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Freedom of speech is a part of our Constitution because it ensures that nobody will be oppressed by the Government based on their views, whether it be religious, political or otherwise. It is based on the ideology of equality no matter what your views are or your ethnicity or anything else of the sort. Freedom of speech has few limitations.

Typically, the only time that freedom of speech is not recognized and covered under the constitution is if it directly threatens the well-being of another individual's basic rights. But that's difficult to prove one way or another. Hate speech is protected even though it is vile. The Ku Klux Klan and neo-Nazis can hold rallies and march down the streets shouting hateful things. But unless they are putting someone in direct, imminent threat by doing so, they are allowed to. Hate speech has always been controversial because for many it's hard to say with certainty whether a specific hateful comment led to a hate crime, or if the crime would've occurred even in the absence of that comment.

As for how it should further be limited, that's all your opinion. Some feel that hate speech should not be protected under the first amendment. Some feel that the media shouldn't be able to state opinions as fact without providing evidence. There are many avenues to go with this one. Best of luck.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Because we don't want to live in a country like China. Say one bad word about your leaders and you will find yourself in a labor camp.

In this country, you have the freedom of speech to say whatever you want, but NOT wherever you want. I have the right to not listen to you. You can stand on a soapbox in the middle of a park and badmouth the government all you want. You can't do that in my living room. You can start your own radio show and talk all you want, but you can't force another radio show to give you equal time.

See how it works?

• Mike W
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

We have freedom of speech so we can, without fear of imprisonment, speak out against government, and so we can voice our opinions without fear of being repressed by the government. You are still responsible for what you say, and if you slander someone, they can take you to court. Our government has tried to limit free speech. During wwI, people were imprisoned for speaking out against the war.

Freedom of speech is one of our inherent rights. Neither the government nor the Constitution give us any of our rights.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Freedom of speech is the first of 10 amendments to our Constitution which are designed to give us the power to fight tyranny in government like what we are experiencing now. Free speech should never be limited.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Hally
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

"Why do we have freedom of speech?"

After looking at today's list of questions in this section, I'm beginning to wonder that myself....lol

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The best promotion of the freedom of speech is SOPA, of course.

• 5 years ago

Well, I would have to say (this is heavy) in the name of Christ. so no one shall die just because they spoke about humanity. Hmm!

• 9 years ago

*sniff* I smell homework. If this is homework, you really should do your own. Just getting answers from us won't help you learn and understand.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

yes

• Bill
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

so we can tell people Obama is a fraud.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.