Best fiction/non fiction books/TV Shows about The British Intelligence Agency?

okay, so I have been wanting to write a novel about british spies since I was a child (my older brother used to watch James Bond movies all the time) and it's only been in the past year or so that I've gotten confident enough in my writing that I could pull it off. The only problem is, is that outside of James Bond, I know next to nothing about MI-6/MI-5. Are there any books, non fiction or fiction or tv shows that I could read/watch that would help me? Thanks!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Spike
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Nonfiction Books

==============

Secret Wars: One Hundred Years of British Intelligence Inside MI5 and MI6 by Gordon Thomas

Her Majesty's Secret Service by Christopher Andrew

MI6 and the Machinery of Spying: Structure and Process in Britain's Secret Intelligence (Studies in Intelligence) by Philip Davies

MI6: Inside the Covert World of Her Majesty's Secret Intelligence Service by Stephen Dorril

At Her Majesty's Secret Service: The Chiefs of Britain's Intelligence Agency, M16 by Nigel West

Defend the Realm: The Authorized History of MI5 (Vintage) by Christopher Andrew

Open Secret: The Autobiography of the Former Director-General of MI5 by Stella Rimington

Spy Catcher: The Candid Autobiography of a Senior Intelligence Officer by Peter Wright

Cambridge Spies by Verne W. Newton

Fiction Books

============

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John Le Carre

The Looking Glass War by John Le Carre

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carre

Smiley's People by John Le Carre

A Perfect Spy by John Le Carre

The Russia House by John Le Carre

The Secret Pilgrim by John Le Carre

Our Game by John Le Carre

The Tailor of Panama by John Le Carre

The Mission Song by John Le Carre

Our Kind of Traitor by John Le Carre

The Fourth Protocol by Frederick Forsyth

The Deceiver by Frederick Forsyth

A Spy by Nature: A Novel by Charles Cumming

The Spanish Game: A Novel by Charles Cumming

The Trinity Six: A Novel by Charles Cumming

Spycatcher by Matthew Dunn

The Sentinel: A Spycatcher Novel by Matthew Dunn

TV Shows/TV Movies

==================

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (BBC miniseries)

Smiley's People (BBC miniseries)

A Perfect Spy (BBC miniseries)

Spooks(called MI5 here in the U.S. ended after 10 seasons)

Movies

=======

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

The Looking Glass War

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

The Russia House

The Tailor Of Panama

The Constant Gardner

The Fourth Protocol

NOTE: the real spy world is NOTHING like James Bond, Mission Impossible, Alex Rider, The Man From Uncle, From Paris With Love and xXx at all, whether it the CIA, NSA, British Secret Intelligence Service (use to be called MI6 during WWII, they are the CIA's counterpart), British Security Service (use to be called MI5 during WWII, they are the FBI's counterpart and the only difference is they can't arrest anyone), Mossad, FBS(use to be called the KGB), The Bundesnachrichtendienst (English: Federal Intelligence Service; BND), Inter-Services Intelligence and so on.

Source(s): I'm a fan of the real spy world, fan of close to the real world type spy novels/movies, a James Bond fan and a member at commanderbond.net's forum. Also Tom Clancy and John Le Carre are two of my favourite authors, who knows how to write real good close to the real world type spy novels.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

British Mi6 Tv Series

• amil
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

No. however the 0.33 floor of the U. S. Embassy in London has a CIA liaison place of work; and the precise floor has a NSA liaison place of work. the 1st bargains with MI6 and the 2nd with GCHQ Cheltenham. In theory not something is heldback different than NOFORN supplies; the sharing is the two techniques. For extra info, see Bamford, The Puzzle Palace, and Hager, secret power.

• xpoc
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Spooks is a show all about MI5. Im not sure how good it is because I've never really watched it. It was on the air for 10 seasons which is long for a British TV show, so its probably fairly good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spooks

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Reading a good publication offers a richer experience and can leave you with stories that will last years

• Gerald
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Reading the e book instead of enjoying the movie is the ultimate way to see what the author designed. Reading uses your creativeness, hones your reading skills, and can transform your life vocabulary.

• Alex Rider is great! Try that

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.