Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 years ago

Critical Review of The Hunger Games help?

The Hunger Games is an inspiring trilogy by Suzanne Collins that combines her fascination with Greek mythology and our society’s obsession with reality TV. It follows Katniss Everdeen, a girl living in a nation that has been created after the destruction of present day North America. She volunteers to replace her younger sister in a deadly competition that young boys and girls are forced to compete in every year; twenty-four go into the arena, and only one comes out alive. After she accidentally defies the leaders of the nation with her inability to follow orders, she finds herself to be the face of a rebellion. The books explore a world that we could one day end up like.

These books have so many fantastic qualities that make them impossible to set down. The incredible themes leave powerful messages about the moral values of humanity, the way our society glorifies war, and how people are becoming obsessed with appearances. Along with those themes, there’s also the strong protagonist, Katniss. She’s an independent girl who becomes a hero, even though she was never destined to become one; it was purely chance. Additionally, there’s the love story that’s present in these books, but doesn’t overpower the rest of the plot. Some may view this as kind of a drag, but it’s an expanded love triangle where the girl is torn between two boys and a third part of her that doesn’t want to be married or have children. With all of the aspects of this trilogy, it becomes a brilliant story.

Okay, I'm about to email this to my teacher, but can you check it over and make sure I didn't make any mistakes and that it makes sense?

Favorite Answer

I had no idea that Suzanne Collins had a fascination with Greek Mythology..... You should elaborate on how she incorporates Greek Mythology in her book! You should write "It follows Katniss Everdeen, a girl living in one of 12 districts that was created after the destruction of present day North America. "In a deadly competition where young boys and girls compete annually, in the Hunger Games;an arena where children from all districts fight to their deaths." I don't think that she became the face of the rebellion since she was unable to follow orders, I feel like it was because of her perseverance to keep both Peeta and her alive.. (but that can be up to interpretation).

I think you should write in the second paragraph, "how people are becoming obsessed with drama on reality TV shows."

I like this review so much! You covered everything that was important.. hopw your teacher likes it as much as I do! ((:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins book down for a second after the first few pages got me completely hooked. Suzanne Collins narrative here has an immediacy to it that, when combined with the very dramatic life-or-death plot, is incredibly compelling. It's entertaining, and incredibly disturbing all at once. If this was merely a good read, I would have given it 4 stars, but they say great art leaves you changed after you experience it... and this book definitely did that. Suzanne Collins has, with one amazing work, propelled herself onto my top shelf.

c