Are all three cannabis plants illegal in the us?

From what I have been able to find only Cannabis sativa aka Marijuana, contains enough THC to get you high, And it seems hemp is commonly sold as food, but from what I read online I would guess they are using C. Indica and C. Ruderalis not C. Sativa so are C. Indica and C. Ruderalis legal to grow, purchase and own in the US or are all three a controlled substance?

If all THC containing plants are a controlled substance in the US and illegal how is it possible someone at a home and garden show was giving away hemp samples, the dried plant not hemp material or rope?

• Bruce
    Best Answer

The active ingredient that makes cannabis illegal is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Any plant that contains THC would be a controlled substance.

• Leon

They're all illegal; even if there's so little THC in it that you'd have to smoke a blunt the size of a telephone pole in a 5 minute span in order to get high, it's still cannabis and it's still illegal. Hemp fiber is legal to import though, and hemp seeds (sterilized by radiation) are legal to consume as food, but those are the only exceptions that I'm aware of.