Why do my TV turn on even when the remote is pointed another way?

I'm doing some physics homework, including a sort of lab where I try to block the infrared signal of my tv remote with different materials. Anyways, I've heard that the signal from the remote can "bounce" off the ceiling and wall and actually hit the tv and turn it on. I tried this, but it didn't work unless I pointed about 45* left of the tv.

So I just wondered if anyone has a good explanation? Why does the infrared signal bounce off walls?

(I did try googling on my own, but the explanations I found doesn't really make sense and are way too long.)

Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

Infrared signals are extremely powerful and will reach its target no matter what. The only way to block it is to completely cover the signal point with your hand, foil, etc. If you are out of the room and attempt to turn on the TV, it will not unless there is a mirror to bounce the signal off of. A good way to demonstrate it is if you have a low powered laser pointer and point it at a mirror, it will bounce off to a different surface in the room. this will only work with a mirror, a microwave front, or something of that nature. A wall does the same thing to an infrared signal that the mirror does to the laser. Hope this helps!

• Bob

IR is basically light. So if you used a regular flashlight and shined it around a totally dark room the reflected light will strike other objects. The remote is doing the same thing. The results will very depending on how strong the remote IR light is and how sensitive the TV set pickup is. Make sure the batteries are new.