Atheism vs. Christianity?

Hello all,

I am an atheist. I know why I am an atheist. A Christian friend of mine (a very ignorant one, at that) wants to have a 'debate' about Atheism vs. Christianity. I've never spoken out in public about my secular views before. I am an excellent public speaker and debater, but I was wondering if some of you fellow Atheists could give me a few tips, so I could help strengthen my arguement.

Best Answer

Ten Stupid Things Smart Christians Believe

A mistranslated book written by cave people is a reliable guide to the modern world.

There’s an invisible man in the sky who likes to watch you while you’re showering.

Two thousand years ago, an alter ego of this invisible man knocked up a Jewess whose husband wasn’t satisfying her.

The progeny of this drunken coupling was both god and the son of god.

This son of god was killed (but not really, since he’s also god, and god can’t die) and then came back to life to seek revenge, just like J.D. Walker.

His killing was a necessary sacrifice in order that we might be forgiven for the sins of Eve, the first woman in the world, who lived 6000 years ago in a magical garden, where a talking snake convinced her to eat a forbidden apple.

To show our thanks for this sacrifice, we should put special crackers and wine in our mouths, where they will be magically transformed into his flesh and blood, which we should then swallow despite taboos regarding cannibalism.

If you don’t believe all the preceding items, then after you die you will be plunged into a lake of fire and tortured for all eternity.

If you do believe all the preceding items, then after you die you’ll get to go to heaven, which is a cloud in outer space connected to the earth with a dotted line bent into a heart-shape

Thomas Kinkade is an awesome painter.Ten Stupid Things Smart Christians Believe

Thomas Kinkade is an awesome painter.

Whatever you do, don't debate on a written forum. And forget about winning on the basis of truth only being relative and not absolute. Then you might want to be flexible on any notions that a metaphysical deity should have to be proven by physical evidence. Aside from that, unless you have been declared clinically dead for more than three days and came back to say there was no judgment or reward, etc. I wouldn't press the idea that there is no such thing as God or an ultimate moment of judgment beyond death.

Ask him "If God came down and told you to kill your parents, would you do it?" If he answers "No" then he is probably an atheist.

Research the trend in Religion in different countries. For example, why is are there more Religious people in poorer countries than more developed countries? Explain to him that he only believes what he believes based on a number of factors; his race, upbringing, parents, grandparents etc.

What I am trying to say is, people are not Christians because they have seen any proof that you and I have not.

Source(s): Too many Religious debates

Tell him "No." Simple as that.

Debates are not to convince the other side of your argument. Debates are to convince the audience, jury, etc. so, unless you have an audience of Agnostics, the debate is pointless.

If you have an audience of Atheists, your friend will never be able to reverse their education and use of reason and logic. They will never "devolve" into an Xian again. If you have an audience of Xians, you may have a chance of convincing them of the good news of Atheism, but most likely they are brainwashed and no manner of logic or reason will help them.

I think the debate will be pointless.

This might be an instructive debate to watch:

http://fixed-point.org/index.php/video/35-full-len...

Personally, I would be hammering lack of credible evidence, the Creation myth in the Bible that doesn't stack up against modern understandings, the existence of millions of gods which have been dismissed- special pleading etc.

Also, here's a nice little reference to use to find a wealth of material to assist your debate:

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

You have the entirety of scientific knowledge on your side, your arguments aren't the problem.

LISTEN, the most important part of any debate is to listen and hear what the other person is saying, only then can you answer their arguments or address their challenges to yours.

I would advise you to go to YouTube and watch some of the debates that Richard Dawkins and/or Christopher Hitchens have had with one religious person of another.

The two of them have (in my opinion) won every single one of them.

Use the Psychology approach on religion. if he uses that something has to have a creator, then you say that he is incurring in the Animistic fallacy

Then you start to destroy god from its basis; The Animism, young kids tend to explain thing that they doesnt understand saying that their daddy did it. That is exactly how christianity was created by the ancient jew herders

Some ideas:

Why does God make the world unfair?

Why does God disapprove of gays?

Why is there proof for natural selection?

Why is there proof the world is millions of years old when the creationism theory states it is about 6000 years old.

That's all i can think of off of my head while doing business studies coursework xD

Check out the Atheist Expirience show on youtube.

A lot common (and unique) questions were answered there. ;)

I am an Atheist because I do not believe in God, Ghost, Heaven, Hell which are non-existent.

I am non-religious because I do not follow or practice meaningless religions and useless rituals.