Help me with english plz~~~?

As always, I start with a link to the article that I've read http://news.yahoo.com/wife-defends-soldier-accused-afghan-rampage-060005974.html PART1 Karilyn Bales has spoken to her husband by telephone twice since he was detained. The soldier called his wife first from overseas shortly after massacre, and... show more As always, I start with a link to the article that I've read

http://news.yahoo.com/wife-defends-soldier-accused-afghan-rampage-060005974.html

PART1
Karilyn Bales has spoken to her husband by telephone twice since he was detained. The soldier called his wife first from overseas shortly after massacre, and then last week from Fort Leavenworth where the two talked about family matters and "reaffirmed their love for each other," said her attorney, Lance Rosen.

Q1) In this part,I think "WHERE" doesn't imply the place " Fort Leavenworth", I think it does "on the phone" because he made a phone call to his wife.Right??
the two talked about family matters and reaffirmed their love for each other ON THE PHONE.
I need your examples with the "WHERE" used in the same meaning above.

PART2
The Bales family had a Seattle-area home condemned, struggled to make payments on another and failed to get a promotion a year ago. Karilyn Bales put the family's Lake Tapps, Wash., home up for sale days before the rampage.

Q2) let me know "get a promotion" meaning,plz. I couldn't figure it out because I was confused with "promotion" meaning.
My guessing is The Bales family's Seattle-area home got condemned by their financial problem, after all they had to put it up for sale.and a year ago failed to make a move to a better position in finance.

Q3) 1.The Bales family had a Seattle-area home condemned, 2.struggled to make payments on another 3. and failed to get a promotion A YEAR AGO.
I put number before each sentence(?).
1.2.3 all happened a year ago or it's only 3 that happened a year ago and we don't know when the others(1,2) happened?
I'm sorry I know it's ridiculous to ask but I've decided to ask whatever I'm not 100% sure about.

Thank you!