V2
V2 asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Why government run healthcare insurance is so bad?

Right now I am living in a country with a government run health care and can’t figure out why Americans hate it so much.

Of course it’s your decision how you want to run your healthcare, but I just wanted to share my personal experience with you and get your opinion why do you think it’s “bad”?

Here are some facts.

1. Right now I live in a relatively poor country, my monthly salary (it’s a little bit more than an average) is around $1400/ month (after taxes, to take home). My health insurance is around $25 a month. It’s paid by my employer, however if I am self-employed or if I run my own business, I must pay it myself.

Government covers insurance costs for retires, students, children, disabled and unemployed.

2. $25 a month covers basic services; it’s not a Cadillac healthcare. I need to pay out of my pocket for things that are not covered – some extra tests, better dental materials or some medication. I am allowed to buy drugs and supplies in the pharmacy and bring it with me to the hospital if I want something extra and want to save some money.

3. Yes, it could be some waiting period to get surgery for not life threatening conditions. If you want to get it done faster, you need to pay. For example, my 78 years old mother got her both knees replaced. She waited a year for her first surgery, and another year for a second surgery. It was totally free and included a month of rehab after every surgery. If she would agree to pay around $2000 her waiting period would be cut to 1 month. She would get back about 80% of her money after government payment went through. Her preference though was to wait.

4. You can buy private insurance in addition to government care that covers difference between government and extra care in private clinics. Private insurance cost varies, but it not very expensive as it covers only extra healthcare costs. For dental care though you pay mostly out of pocket. I just had my root canal re-done. Guess how much I paid? It was shocking $50 (compared to American prices).

5. My medications in the USA were $50 with insurance and $140 without insurance. Here I pay $40 full price and $5 with government insurance.

6. USA doctors misdiagnosed or did not diagnose some of my problems at all. Actually I was shocked to find out that American doctors treated me for a wrong condition for about 7 years. Here it took 3 visits and bunch of test to find what’s is wrong with me. My chronic condition is almost gone. I do not need my daily medications anymore.

2 Libertarian.

Just to let you know that

1. I think that you mix “less profitable” with “less efficient”. My personal experience of both systems says that government run care is more efficient when it comes to treating illnesses, especially chronic.

2. Actually, it’s opposite. I could choose doctor only from the network in the USA. It really sucked. With a government insurance I can choose ANY doctor or ANY hospital I want. No restrictions. Also doctors usually ask me what medications I would prefer, however I need to pay extra for some. It still choicer compared to the USA.

2 Endangered Species

Actually, I agree with you that it’s awful to force people buy products from private companies. It’s another argument in favor of universal health care system. When you have your bases covered, then you have extra money and choose to pay for extras you prefer. Doctors treat you very well when you bring extra cash. American insurance companies and hospitals are very secretive – you never know how much things cost. Thus you really never know if you’re getting deal or if you’re getting ripped. It’s not a choice at all.

• Andy
    Favorite Answer

While driving through Alabama this past year, I saw a billboard that said "Healthcare" with a Communist symbol incorporated into it, and below it it said 'Never elect a Democrat.'

To be honest, with a couple of exceptions, I haven't had an INTELLIGENT political argument with a conservative on anything.

The problem with our present health care system is that it is a "for profit" system. It is not a "for better health" system. That is why it costs 3 times higher per person that any other industrialized nation but delivers overall poor care (the U.S. ranks about 37th on the World Health Org. list)

35% of every health care dollar goes for administrative costs (much due to dealing with health insurance Co.s). Insurance companies get paid for profit as well but act as middle men between the patient and the care/doctor.. They not only cause more expense in the system, they don't provide care.

In fact, health insurance companies make more profits denying care. If we had system which eliminated private for-profit health insurance, we would conceivably have a much cheaper and efficient system which would cost everyone less and eventually lead to better care

Whether to keep the Health Care Act or not? Okay, if the provisions of the Health Care Act are revoked, we would be in the same position as before Obama with millions not getting medical treatments. People point to the 2014 mandate that requires everyone to buy insurance which may not materialize. The government is going to subsidize everyone to buy their own insurance. We have some taxes to pay for it and on upper income people their tax should raise by 3.8% percent which is the same as it was in 1999.

You are smart enough to recognize that the "death panels" (committees to decide whether a very ill elderly person lives or dies) is false despite what the Republicans and Tea Partyers think.

When you have insurance, the doctor always makes a decision about terminating your care based on whether you should have life support and what your wishes or your family's wishes are, how much your insurance benefits will cover. Some people said the government, Medicare, would decide when to end the patient's care. Medicare only pays claims. The government would not turn down any claim but private direct pay insurance does. Thats why this is a false argument.

Obamacare (Health Care Act) is not universal care because it does not cover everyone and does not have people paying the government for their care. Our system is still privately paid for except for the Veterans Administration which is totally a government health delivery and Medicare which is a subsidy for seniors and disabled to buy private insurance.

Medicaid is for people who are below a certain level of poverty and is separate from Medicare. It is decided at the local county level.

I live in a country with a single-payer system. Not only this, but the government owns and runs most of the hospitals and employs the medical staff. It's not a perfect system (and it's very costly), but it works reasonably well and is very popular. If you're sick, you'll get healed, whether you're rich or poor. Most of the fears Americans seem to express in these cases - that they won't be able to make choices about their healthcare, or that the state will be prying into their affairs - are laughably inaccurate.

live country singlepayer system government owns runs hospitals employs medical staff perfect system costly works popular sick ll healed rich poor fears americans express cases choices healthcare state prying affairs laughably inaccurate

Conservatives in the U.S. are brain-washed by their media (Fox News) to believe that "socialized medicine" is horrible and that countries that have it make their citizens die in the streets while waiting months or years to see a doctor. They are told that they will have no choice of doctors. And, if they're lucky enough to actually get to see a doctor, that there will bureaucrats in the exam room with them telling the doctor what they can or can't do. They are told it is just one step away from having a Communist society. It's unfortunate and ridiculous, but most of them believe this. There has been a massive and effective misinformation campaign in the United States for years, funded by the insurance companies, and spread through conservative media to the gullible.

1. Its less efficient then insurance sold in a (true) free market, which either makes it more expensive or shittier.

2. You have absolutely no choice, you have to buy it (the Government plan/health-care)

3. You can't choose your doctor, or your medicine

Source(s): All things ran centrally are less effeicent.

This is about more government intrusion into our life. Obama's socialist plan removes our individualism and freedom to choose what care, doctor, or surgeon we would choose, and instead, mandate to us what we can and cannot do with our health care. Obama has taken away more freedom than any person in American history. Shame on that failure.

• Tedi

I would recommend you to visit this web site where onel can compare rates from the best companies: http://COVERAGE-FINDER.NET/index.html?src=5YAWds13...

RE :Why government run healthcare insurance is so bad?

Here are some facts.

Update: 2 Libertarian.

Just to let you know that

Update 2: 2 Endangered Species

2 following 10 answers

Source(s): I would recommend you to visit this web site where onel can compare rates from the best companies: http://COVERAGE-FINDER.NET/index.html?src=5YAWds13...

I don't want the federal government making any decision concerning my healthcare....it's between my doctor and I and NO-ONE else!!!! He even took an oath to that effect.

Because they're not insurance people.

We want people who know the industry to run the industry, not people elected every 2 or 4 years from God knows where.

Only back ward ignorant Republican are that stupid here in the US