Was refusing a breathalyzer test the right move?

I am currently 20 years old living on my college campus. Before I can tell my story I must shed some info from the past. Last year at my school, I was hit with a stroke of awful luck. After making it through 75% of my freshman year without any trouble, I managed to get 3 MIP's in a 3-week time-span. My drivers... show more I am currently 20 years old living on my college campus. Before I can tell my story I must shed some info from the past. Last year at my school, I was hit with a stroke of awful luck. After making it through 75% of my freshman year without any trouble, I managed to get 3 MIP's in a 3-week time-span. My drivers license was suspended for a year, I was suspended from my school for a semester, required to do 30 hrs of AA, and the whole thing cost about $10,000.... It was the worst experience of my life..

A year later, after a lot of growing up I was re-admitted into my school, I made back almost all my money by picking up 3 jobs, nearly caught up on credits by going to school full-time over summer, finished my AA, and put the past in the past. My license was going to be reinstated in 12 days.

Last night that all changed. I had been drinking at a local bar, just having a good time with my friends who were visiting for the weekend. We were on our way back when we stopped at my friends car so he could take a puff of some cannabis that he had. It was a very impulsive and dumb move for me to even agree to hang around the car with him while he did it. Little did we know a cop was patrolling the parking lot and saw my friend. He approached us, said it smelled like cannabis and proceeded to search us and the car. He found my friends 2 pieces, a grinder, and a fake ID he was using.

I had nothing on me.

The officer saw a bar stamp on my friends hand (I didnt have a stamp) and asked if we had been drinking. My friend knew he was caught red-handed, and admitted he was also drinking.. Knowing that I absolutely could not get another MIP or I'd possibly be kicked out of school again, I said I had not been drinking. He asked if I would be willing to do a breathalyzer test, and although I was only slightly intoxicated, I refused because I knew I wouldn't blow zeros. He badgered and pressured me to take the test but I stood my ground. The entire time I was being extremely cooperative and polite. "Yes sir", "no sir" to everything.

Then my world was turned upside down when he told me that I needed to turn around because I was under arrest for consumption of a minor because I "smelled like alcohol".... I had gum in my mouth so I feel he was just saying that to say that. But he took me to the back of his car and down the station.

He never read me my miranda rights.

I spent 4 hours in a prison cell. I was distraught and scared. I had never been in jail before. After posting bond for both me and my friend I was given my courtdate.

My question is.... Was refusing the breathalyzer test a good idea? Or did I make matters worse? Should I fight this ticket in court? I was never read my miranda rights, which is absolutely necessary when placing someone under arrest.

My entire life has just been flipped upside down..... Again.... All the hard work I put forth in making things right has now been wasted. I fear I will be kicked out of my school again, and for good this time.. Im almost positive my license will be gone until I'm 21.

Please, someone help. I don't know what to do. I am so distraught right now.

And please, dont give me the "well you shouldn't have been drinking" stuff