Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 8 years ago

how do i go about buying a used car if person has not payed it off?

I am in Georgia, I am trying to buy a 09 civic ex but the person still has not payed it off to the dealership. I requested a loan through USAA and am using the whole 13000 for it. How do I go about making sure i do not get scammed? Usaa wont give the check to me, it has to be to the person im buying it off of

Update:

what about just taking over that persons loan by the dealership?? having their name off the papers

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If the individual has not paid off the loan, it isn't their vehicle to sell, it belongs to the lien holder.

If you hand him a check in his name for that amount, you had best be handed a clear title when you do because USAA is going to want it immediately.

Tell him to call you once he has the clear title and you'll talk about it then. Do not deal him otherwise.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I can't think of a way...

There's no way you can have clear title to it, until the lien is satisfied, a lien release letter comes,

and the title is obtained from the state by the seller so he can sign it over to you.

It takes time... weeks in the best of worlds.

Look at some other cars...

This is a deal you would do with a trusted family member.

You would pay off the loan and wait for the lien release.

Only the owner can go get a clean title, not you.

Once the seller gets the title he can sell it to another person.

Even if you got your money back, you were taken for a ride.

• Never
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Have USAA talk to the sellers bank.

If they cant work it out between them, find another car. They probably CAN if they want to. Would need a notarized affidavit from the seller so their bank would be ok sending the title to USAA.

No taking over loans. Must be new loan.

• 3 years ago

No they are able to NOT. Even if you're past due they have got to ship a "correct to remedy observe" REPOSSESSION CHECKLIST one million. Is the account 10 days or extra beyond due? If now not, you need to wait till it's earlier than you'll be able to continue. two. If the account is 10 days or extra beyond due, have you ever despatched the NOTICE OF DEFAULT & RIGHT TO CURE? If now not, you have got to ship it earlier than you'll be able to continue. three. Did the NOTICE OF DEFAULT & RIGHT TO CURE deliver the purchaser a minimum of 20 days to remedy the default? If now not, you need to ship the borrower person who does earlier than you'll be able to continue. four. Did the purchaser remedy the default by way of paying the account updated? If so, and the account is once more a minimum of 10 days antisocial, you are going to need to ship a SECOND NOTICE OF DEFAULT & RIGHT TO CURE, and deliver the purchaser 20 days to remedy the default earlier than you'll be able to continue. five. If you despatched the SECOND NOTICE OF DEFAULT & RIGHT TO CURE, did it once more deliver the purchaser 20 days to remedy the default, and did it have the specified further language? If now not, you need to ship the borrower person who does earlier than you'll be able to continue. 6. After you repossessed the collateral, did you ship the purchaser the NOTICE OF OUR PLAN TO SELL PROPERTY? 7. If you despatched the NOTICE OF OUR PLAN TO SELL PROPERTY, did you deliver the purchaser a minimum of 10 days to redeem the collateral? If now not, you need to ship the borrower person who does earlier than you'll be able to continue. eight. Was the sale treated in a commercially fair procedure, e.g., promoting for bids, contacting more than a few buyers, and many others.? nine. Does the dossier include entire knowledge involving the sale, incorporate on the very least the character of the sale (individual or public sale), the rate bought for the collateral, the identify of the buyer, and many others.? 10. Does the dossier include receipts for all bills incurred within the repossession, adding the repossession rate, maintenance, garage, and many others.? eleven. If there used to be a surplus from the sale of the collateral, did you go back the surplus budget to the purchaser?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.