Laminate flooring over concrete?

We just tore up the disgusting old stained carpet in our family room, and discovered a concrete floor underneath. We are planning to cover it with a laminate flooring, but the concrete has a few small holes and dips.

How do we go about correcting this or prepping it for laminate? We're really hoping to be able to do this on our own, but don't want to do something wrong and waste our time and money.

Anyone have any advice?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

glue cement backer board down, first

Source(s): maint man
  • 8 years ago

As long as by small you mean an inch or so. Laminate flooring can be unsupported for that amount. But if you mean three inches or more then no. Fill in the holes with hydraulic cement and make sure you put down a vapor barrier between the concrete and the laminate. You can use 30 pound roofing felt for this, don't let anyone talk you into something pricy.

• rob s
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Depends on how deep and big the dips are as to what type of filler is used. Some fillers are used in depths of 1/4" or less and different fillers are used in deeper fills.

Just small dips or holes ( like where the tack strip was pulled out) just use a cement based filler used in skim coating. Deeper or bigger areas may need to use a self leveling compound.

Needs to be just as flat as possible.

These are all easy fixes. Just any large areas where a lot may be put in, wait a few weeks for it to dry so the moisture isn t trapped and is allowed to dry so it won t effect the laminate.

Any questions you can e mail me through my avatar, I ve attended several installation seminars as well as installed a couple 100,000 s/f. GL

Source(s): 20 years in flooring as a store owner/installer
  • Lisa
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Yes Surprisingly concrete will soak up everything like a sponge. I would definitely get a damp proof membrane underlay if laying the floor on concrete.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.