Why can't atheists just let people believe what they want to believe?

Why do they need to have a "reason rally"? (gayest thing I have ever heard of)

Why do they care about other people's religious beliefs? I've never understood how people could get so mad over something they don't believe in.

25 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Because they have to stick their big noses in.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Ask Galileo, Ask the 100's of thousands of innocent people murder during the 400 years of Inquisition. Ask slaves who's bondage was justified for centuries because the bible condoned it. Ask all the gay people who's discrimination stems from belief in bronze age myths. You can believe in Harry Potter and Santa Claus for all I care as long as you KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! The moment you think laws should be based on your favorite mythology you're going to run into a brick wall of reason.

BTW the gayest thing I've ever hear of is a boy who's life ends at 13 and suddenly picks back up when he is in his early thirties unmarried, living in a commune with 12 other hunky unmarried men that follow him everywhere he goes. No wonder God hate fags, he knew they were going to turn his son the moment he got a human body.

• Sara
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Thank you for pointing out that there is going to be a Reason Rally today. I hadn't known.

They expect or hope for 30,000 people, and say that their nonbeliever status has shifted now to 15% of respondents to a poll.

They claim that religion will not be bashed in any way.

However, calling it the "Reason Rally" is already a bit of an insult, as if they are the only ones capable of using their brains.

Their main speakers include Richard Dawkins, who has built an empire on calling other people stupid, and there was never a speech in which he missed the chance to attack those who do not believe as he does.

I wonder how they will hold him back, since he has such an acid tongue.

In one speech he gave, he said he was a "retired professor specializing in The Public Understanding of Science" as if we rubes all needed some book learning.

Even worse, another speaker is The Amazing Randi, a magician who built an empire on ghost busting and insults.

I'll be interested to see if they can stay true to the mission statement, and not bash religions.

• We don't.

A lot of Atheists come from religious families and have religious friends and don't know many other Atheists, so gatherings like these help us know that we're not alone and deal with the persecution we face.

Generally speaking, Atheists are chill and say "You can believe that. It's wrong, but you can believe it. Whatever?"

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

You have already received some incredibly thoughtful and measured responses by my fellow atheists.

I'm just here to voice my indignation against the closed-minded faithful, like you, who display the flag as if it were their exclusive religious property.

As much as the atheophobic likes of you might resent it, that flag belongs to all Americans --- and YES, atheists, too. ... Even if the faithful, bless their compassionate hearts, would rather have us all banned and promptly burned at the stake.

Get a grip and welcome to reality; atheists are currently the most persecuted and discriminated minority group in this country, if we don't stand up for our rights, who will? ... Your merciful God???

• 8 years ago

They just want to let the world know that there is in fact a group of people, under represented in the political discourse, who don't believe in the religions that seem to pull public policy one way or the other.

Furthermore we are a group often persecuted by the religious for not thinking god exists. We are more hated by people of specific religions than members of their opposing religions because "at least they believe in a god".

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Our reason rally is a reaction to religiously motivated social injustices. Why aren't we allowed to peaceably assemble when your ilk does it EVERY WEEK? You call it church.

You want to know why we care about religious beliefs? Personal beliefs, no matter how private they may be, inform people's actions and color their thought processes. Now you're probably thinking, that can't be bad, religion is a force for good right? Sure okay.

Tell that to all the families of 9/11 victims.

• 8 years ago

Because the false things that some people believe are getting in the way of normal people living their lives, is why.

Thanks to the poisonous influence of religion, it is impossible for some people to marry the person they love; and unnecessarily hard to deal with an unwanted pregnancy, purchase certain articles on certain days of the week, or teach science properly.

That is why.

• 8 years ago

Why do believers have rallies? If you don't support reason then don't go. We have a right to support one another just as believers do so it sounds like someone needs to unwad their panties.

• 8 years ago

Says the representative of a religion that has "turn or burn" as a central doctrine.

Oh, the irony...

If you don't see the influence of religion on public policy in America, it's only because you're a member of the dominant religion and take for granted that the majority agree with you.

• 8 years ago

The "Reason Rally" was to get more visibility for atheists in our culture and representation in a government that marginalizes us. Not to change anyone's beliefs. So are we not allowed to legally congregate anymore? You gather for church, yet we are not allowed to gather anywhere with those of like mind?

I don't care what you believe, nor do most atheists. What we care about is the fact that you people constantly try to both convert us and push your beliefs into our laws, schools, and government. If you could keep your beliefs to yourselves and keep them out of laws that affect us EVERY DAY we wouldn't give a crap what you do or believe.

And it's horribly hypocritical of anyone religious to ask this question, since Christianity is based on trying to preach to or convert others.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.