Did Jesus Really Die on a Cross?

Update:

What Does the Cross Symbolize? Read more here:http://www.watchtower.org/e/200604a/article_01.htm

Long before the Christian era, crosses were used by the ancient Babylonians as symbols in their worship of the fertility god Tammuz. The use of the cross spread into Egypt, India, Syria, and China. Then, centuries later, the Israelites adulterated their worship of Jehovah with acts of veneration to the false god Tammuz. The Bible refers to this form of worship as a ‘detestable thing.’—Ezekiel 8:13, 14.

The Gospel accounts of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John use the Greek word stau·ros′ when referring to the instrument of execution on which Jesus died. (Matthew 27:40; Mark 15:30; Luke 23:26) The word stau·ros′ refers to an upright pole, stake, or post. The book The Non-Christian Cross, by J. D. Parsons, explains: “There is not a single sentence in any of the numerous writings forming the New Testament, which, in the original Greek, bears even indirect evidence to the effect that the stauros u

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Linda
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

According to the original wording of the scriptures, he died on a "torture stake", an upright pole without a crossbeam.

Source(s): bible student
  • 9 years ago

Jesus Christ did not die on a cross. The Greek word generally translated “cross” is stau·ros′. It basically means “an upright pale or stake.” The Companion Bible points out: “[Stau·ros′] never means two pieces of timber placed across one another at any angle . . . There is nothing in the Greek of the [New Testament] even to imply two pieces of timber.”

In several texts, Bible writers use another word for the instrument of Jesus’ death. It is the Greek word xy′lon. (Acts 5:30; 10:39; 13:29; Galatians 3:13; 1 Peter 2:24) This word simply means “timber” or “a stick, club, or tree.”

Explaining why a simple stake was often used for executions, the book Das Kreuz und die Kreuzigung (The Cross and the Crucifixion), by Hermann Fulda, states: “Trees were not everywhere available at the places chosen for public execution. So a simple beam was sunk into the ground. On this the outlaws, with hands raised upward and often also with their feet, were bound or nailed.”

Source(s): What Does the Bible Really Teach? Published by Jehovah's Witnesses
  • fire
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

i don't think nobody knows for sure. Romans were pagan and the cross comes from many pagan type areas and religions. none were christian and none were Jewish. Early Israelites hung enemies on trees to make an example of them. and according to their law, they take the body down by sunset.

It is hard to believe that the romans would invest time and materials to kill persons on two beams of timber. it is more likely that they used a single beam or pole. that is more realistic. the cross does like i said from Babylon, egypt and other nations and about 320 ce the romans and early church decided to merge other religions so they could have a more unified people in the roman provinces. so again no one really knows for sure but probably not a cross but a pole.

• Yes.

The early publications or the watchtower had crosses all over it.

http://e-watchman.com/storage/wt_1912_color1.jpg?_...

Look in the upper left corner and all over the "watchtower"

They have a bigger problem with their bible. They forgot to remove the verse where Jesus tells St. Peter he will be crucified (Hands stretched out)

(NWT) John 21:18 Most truly I say to you, When you were younger, you used to gird yourself and walk about where you wanted. But when you grow old you will stretch out your hands and another [man] will gird you and bear you where you do not wish.”

And here it says the print of the "nails" (Plural) in his hands (Plural).... this means that was a nail for each hand and not 1 nail for 2 hands as the JW's say he was place in a Stake.

(NWT)John 20:25 Consequently the other disciples would say to him: “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them: “Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails and stick my finger into the print of the nails and stick my hand into his side, I will certainly not believe.”

In their publications that have Jesus pierced through the wrists which is incorrect.

Peace be with you

<<<Devout Catholic>>>

http://jehovahwitnessmyths.blogspot.com/

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Well, it all depends on whether you believe Jesus Christ actually existed.

Assuming that you do, crucifixion (the process of executing someone by nailing or binding them to a cross) was a common Roman practice during the era Christ is reported to have been killed.

Therefore, if you believe Christ existed, it is likely he was killed by crucifixion. The Bible also states he was killed this way.

• While there are no historical records proving Jesus really existed, if he did and was executed using the standard cross of that time, he probably would have died in a few hours and fell off the cross and or attacked and eaten by predators.

• 9 years ago

Hi

Yes. Contemporary Roman and Jewish records also mention thIs.

Check out (I think) Pliny the younger, Tacitus, Josephus etc.

:-)

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

1 John 5

6 This is the one who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ. He did not come by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. 7 For there are three that testify: 8 the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement. 9 We accept human testimony, but God’s testimony is greater because it is the testimony of God, which he has given about his Son. 10 Whoever believes in the Son of God accepts this testimony. Whoever does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because they have not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. 11 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

No. Outside the bible show me an account of this supposedly powerful miracle performing rabble rouser and maybe I shall believe you.

• Actually, it was more like a plus.

Plus: +

Cross: x

See?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.